Thread: 121 (Eagle) Sqn badge true colours

Thanks

Default 121 (Eagle) Sqn badge true colours

Hello All,

Who really knows the true colours of the face of the Indian in the 121 Sqn badge? In some case it is shown with a white face, sometimes with a red/brown face! In September 42, what was the colour when authorised?

What is the right one?

Thanks

Phil

Thanks

Phil, Hi,

http://home.clara.net/griffon/rafh/sqns101.htm shows the face as “proper” in heraldic terms – that is a life-like image.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._121_Squadron_RAF shows the face in a sort of pink – which is not an heraldic ‘tincture’. But probably as near as the badge makers could get to “proper”.

http://www.rafweb.org/Sqn121-125.htm shows the face as light brown – again, not a true heraldic ‘tincture’. Also there is no detail in the face.

The only way to be certain is to get a copy of the ‘blazon’ (the official heraldic description) of the 121 Sqn Badge. From what I have seen, my guess would be that the gentleman’s face should be rendered as “proper”. The people who should know are at:
    RAF Ceremonial Office
    RAF Northolt
    West End Road
    Ruislip
    Middlesex
    HA4 6NG
    Now whether they, as representatives of the Inspector of RAF Badges (who is an Officer of the College Of Arms), will want to charge you a fee for providing that information I do not know.

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 16th May 2013 at 10:37. Reason: Title correction
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

I don't have Peter's command of the proper heraldic language but the official file for the announcements of the 121 Sqn badge is AIR 2/6468.

Steve

Thanks

Hi Phil,
    Following from Peter Davies the face is likely to be described , as he says, as "proper" in the Heraldic Description and that would mean a natural appearance using colouring that is outside the restricted palette of the world of heraldry. It could mean an attempt at a form of portrait or simply a generalised image. The many variations that are around could arise simply because the description, or Blazon, was passed to the artist in writing and not as an illustration (there is a carefully structured form of description in Heraldry and it could be referred to as "proper" without any further guidance, there being no appropriate "tinctures" to cover human facial colouring ) the artist would be free to use his own initiative. The dam on the 617 Sqn Badge, I suspect, would also be called "proper" because of the colour, with the rest of the symbols being Heraldic symbols in Heraldic tinctures.
    If you are interested, try and find a slim book,62 pages, called "Simple Heraldry" by Iain Moncreiffe and Don Pottinger both of whom were Heralds at the time of writing. It is delightful anyway and could help to explain
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 16th May 2013 at 17:21.