Thread: Sgt R Blance RAF

Thanks

Default Sgt R Blance RAF

Long Shot this one but one never knows ,

i have been asked by a local family to try and find out more about thier Grandad ,Hope someone can assist

988005 Sgt R Blance RAF . all thay have is his medals displayed in a case

The display includes the following Black watch Regt cap badge, 39/45 Star- With clasp/bar Africa 42/43

Italy Star, War & Victory Medal , Territorial Efficency Medal E II R VERSION, AND A BLAZER BADGE for 150 Bomber Sqd RAF .

I suspect wartime service with Black watch transfering to RAF ? then remaining in RAF after War , i note 150 Sqd were reformed 59 to operate the Thor Missile .

Please can anyone assist TIA Phill Jones

Thanks

Phill, Hi,
    The answer may well lie in Shetland (the Blances are numerous thereabouts!!). Shetlopedia.com is down at the moment.
    If nobody comes up with an answer then I can probably get my contact in Shetland to put you in touch with a Blance historian!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 25th May 2013 at 08:46. Reason: Incorrect name diminutive
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Phil,

Why not advise the family to seek his Army and RAF records from the appropriate authorities?

Brian

Thanks

Thank you Both , for your replies , The family are taking the steps to Obtain his service Docs , and a connection to Scotland was confirmed , it is always nice to use the Power of the forum to see if anyone has some more on this Man , Thank you

Phill jones

Thanks

Hello,

You can search shetland births and deaths here

www.bayanne.info

I had a look through Shetlands Roll of Honour for WW2 but there is no mention of an R Blance serving. This doesn't mean he wasnt from Shetland though as the book was compiled nearly 50 years after the war.