Thread: Info Blenheim crash 1940

Thanks

Default Info Blenheim crash 1940

Hi, i am currently researching a Blenheim 1V that crashed on the 7th december 1940 Isle of Thanet Deal area , the pilot Pilot Officer 43083 Alferd Kenneth Steel and Sergeant Navigator 745314 William Raymond Hemsley were killed and sergeant D.Robson injured the serial number was T2395 and the crew belonged to 53 squadron, i have found out the crew had been on a reccy mission to the Hook of Holland does anyone have any more information please?
    Thanks Vince

Thanks

Blenheim IV T2395. Hit a balloon cable and crashed at Shingle Point, Pegwell Bay, west of Ramsgate, on return from shipping reconnaissance between Hook of Holland and Ostend 7.50 p.m. (Pilot) Pilot Officer Alfred Kenneth Steel and (Obs) Sergeant William Raymond Hemsley both killed, Sergeant D. Robson injured. Aircraft PZ*N a write-off.

Thanks

Default Balloon Command Collision Summaries of Claims

Hello Peter and Vince

This is an interesting one, as the Balloon Command Collision Summary lists for 1940, on the 7th December 1940 only claimed a "Friendly (Spitfire)" with the aircraft landing safely at Hornchurch with two small dents to the spinner.

Although I am aware that there were more friendly collision claims than the Balloon Command summaries of claims (owing to a Bomber Command dispute with Balloon Command), but Balloon Command refused to accept some (in fact quite a few they refused to accept) as the 'Primary Cause' despite a collision actually taking place.

I'll check out the Directorate of Scientific Research (DSR) lists, which are more extensive.

Only a "Hurricane" in the DSR Lists for 7/12/40 "Collisions of Aircraft with Balloon Barrage Cables. Period 1.10.40. - 31.12.40."

Ross (Coastal Command Losses) must have found a report of the collision?

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 2nd June 2013 at 11:26. Reason: Nothing in the DSR List either.

Thanks

Given the location of the crash, the balloon could have been a towed kite balloon intended to defend shipping against air attack.

As such the balloon would have been a Royal Navy one, and therefore the incident would not necessarily show up in the Balloon Command record.

An interesting article here:

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=BPB19421002.2.8.4

Thanks

Default Thanks

Hi,
    thanks for your intrest shown on my topic and taking the time to reply, thanks again Regards Vince

Thanks

Angelsonefive, you are quite correct the Navy did request barrage balloons and balloons were flown from ships and convoys.

I expect Ross in his Coastal Command Losses gleaned his information from the "Flying Accident Card".

I have checked 53 Squadron Form 540 (handwritten) who were based at Thorney Island:-

"7.12.40 Following routine sorties flown:- Moon, Hookos. Form 541. Dec 40/4."
    "The Hookos patrol crashed near MANSTON aerodrome on the return. The following personnel were killed 43083 P/O A. K. STEEL (Pilot) & 745314 Sgt W. R. HEMSLEY (air observer) and the air gunner 755168 Sgt D. ROBSON seriously injured. Form 541. Dec 40/4"

Note. The 40/4 looks as though it was a 3 which has partly been overwritten by a 4 (even looks as though it could have been 31). Robsons Service number looks like it could be 756168 and was originally given as 548725 which has been struck out.

The 541 (typed) states:-
    Aircraft "N" "P/O Steel. Sgt Hemsley. Sgt Robson."
    "Duty. Hookos"
    "Time Up 1730"
    "Crashed at approximately 2000 at Deal. Pilot and observer killed and air gunner injured. Ref TI/010/8/12."

Unfortunately, I do not have the signal serial TI/010/8/12 referred to. It might be in other Squadron Appendices, or the Station or Group records?

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 5th June 2013 at 11:37.