Thread: can any tell me what happened to the parachutes that where used on d day

Thanks

Default can any tell me what happened to the parachutes that where used on d day

i was talking with a mate about something the other day, and in the conversation he asked me, did i know what happened to the discarded parachutes used on d day and beyond, i saifd maybe the locals took some of them to use the silk for clothes and things, or did the army have a unit that went to collect as many as they could.

its been a long time since i was searching for anything, the last time i ended up changing the war graves location for crew lost on a liberator ( can be found in the bbc archives) last flight of liberator b-24 ew277).ew277 should locate it on seach or even google.

if you can give me anything on my question, you are welcome to email at(jimcracker7(att)hotmail.co.uk, i use a cybershop now, so only get to the pc when i can jim.

Thanks

If Google Translate is up to the mark then "de nombreuses paires de culottes et robes de mariée". If there was any such Para Recovery Unit then all the discarded parachutes (all the way from Normandy to Germany) would - I suspect - have 'disappeared' long before the Unit got anywhere near them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default thanks

i thought that might be what happened, the french having lost so much the women would have taken what they could for dresses and so on. jim