Thread: D J Lambert, 3 ITS South Cerney

Thanks

Default D J Lambert, 3 ITS South Cerney

Does anyone have any information on a D J lambert, who was on 3 ITS at South Cerney on 18/11/1940 training to be a navigator? Did he survive the war?

Thanks

Hello Penny,

there were many many thousands of airmen in the RAF and other forces who may have been at the airfield, can you give us a bit more context as to where you got this name

D J Lambert, was he an instructor, a trainee? Was he an officer, enlisted airman etc. Is there a serial number associated with him.

Are you sure its 3 ITS you meant to type in the title, should it be 3 FTS as per your other posting?

Have you found his name on the www.cwgc.org website, if not, he survived. There is a Royal Navy seaman who died of that name.

To learn how many men of that name served in teh RAF (not the Australian, Canadian forces etc) you need to got the UK National Archives website and access the AIR78 index of airmens names with the surname Lambert. There will liekly be a large number of Davids, Derek's, etc etc etc.

Welcome too the board
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 6th June 2013 at 11:06.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Only Airman on Air 78 that would fit (from a very quick look at Air 78) appears to be

Denis John Lambert #1250549

his service number was in batch issued from May 1940 at Uxbridge, Gloucester and Penarth

All other D J Lambert are after 1942 based on service number

Thanks

Hello Dennis,

We found D J Lamberts written record for a training flight, dated 18th Nov 1940, when our building was recently renovated. The name on the sheet is 3 ITS, and his is clearly training as a navigator. That is all the information I have. I work in the building that the navigators trained in at South Cerney and wanted to find a bit more about what happened here. I will have a look on the national archive site.Thanks.

Thanks

There is a Denis John Lambert who was commishioned in the Fleet Air Arm in 1941, I thought that man was not a pilot in the FAA but other Navy Lists I'm looking at suggest he was in Oct 1942. Would FAA pilots undertake RAF navigator training?

Next closest would be a David IAN Lambert commishioned in the RAF in early 1941.
    (Seniority Apr. 1941.)
    939166 David Ian LAMBERT (66662).
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 6th June 2013 at 11:25.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Might be this one?

Births Jun 1920 (>99%)
    Lambert, Denis J, (MMS) Burns, Doncaster Vol 9c Page 1935

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!