Thread: ANSON K8708 Nr Lewes 17.1.39

Thanks

Default ANSON K8708 Nr Lewes 17.1.39

Hi All,

Can anyone provide details of crew for this one please, also fates of crew.

I understand it was on a Naval Co-Op when it flew into Kingstone Ridge Nr Lewes,Sussex, aircraft was from SGR at Thorney Island.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards.
    Dave.

Thanks

Hi Dave

These are the accidents reported in Flight magazine for that date:

THE Air Ministry regrets to announce the following accidents:

F / O . Alexander Charles Douglas (pilot) and Sgt. John James Cooper lost their lives in an accident which occurred near Arundel, Sussex, on January 14, to an aircraft of No. 1 (Fighter) Squadron, Tangmere, Sussex.

Sgt. Llewellyn Roy Griffiths (flying solo) lost his life in an accident which occurred at Alton, Hampshire, on January 17, to an aircraft of No. i n (Fighter) Squadron, Northolt, Middlesex.

A.P/O. Donald James Catt (flying solo) and a civilian, Miss Ella Coomber, lost their lives when an aircraft of No. 3 (Fighter) Squadron, Kenley, Surrey, struck a private house at Crowborough, Sussex, on January 17. Mrs. H. Smyley was injured.

F/O. Ernest Ronald Henshaw Coombes (pilot) and L.A/C. Alban Dennis Mabbett lost their lives as the result of an accident which occurred at Ystradgynlais. Wales, on January 17, to an aircraft of No. 9 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School, Ansty, Coventry. Mr. Leslie Arnold Priscott (wireless operator) and L.A/C. John Murdo Macleod Macdonald, the other two occupants, were not injured.

F/O Geoffrey Beavis lost his life and A.V.-M. Henry Meyrick Cave-Browne-Cave, C.B., D.S.O., D.F.C. (pilot) was seriously injured in an accident which occurred at Butley, Suffolk, on January
    17, to an aircraft from the Royal Air Force Station, Eastchurch, Kent

http://www.flightglobal.com/PDFArchive/View/1939/1939%20-%200213.html

A

Thanks

Default ANSON K8708 Nr Lewes 17.1.39

Thanks Amrit,

Looks like I`m still stuck with this one, as the accident nearest appears to be Arundel a few miles west, and in any case fighter aircraft.

I was grateful however that in your list were Coombes, Mabbett, McDonald & Priscott of 9 ERFTS at Ansty, and could add them to Anson L9149 which crashed in Wales on that same date.

Regards.
    Dave.