Thread: Sgt C.A. FARRINGTON, No. 7 Squadron

Thanks

Default Sgt C.A. FARRINGTON, No. 7 Squadron

hello,

I'm trying to find more information about Sgt C.A. FARRINGTON, the flight engineer in the crew captained by F/L S.E.C. CLARK, No. 7 Squadron, shot down near St Pol sur Ternoise on 29th June 1944. I have the details from BCL volume 5 and from the CWGC.
    They were flying ancaster III ND897 MG-C.
    I have the PoW questionnaire of Donald MORTIMER, the other airman who like FARRINGTON survived to become a prisoner.
    I failed to locate FARRINGTON's questionnaire at Kew, so I'm wondering if anybody has details about him. As the crew was "Master Bomber" for the Siracourt raid, he may have had started his tour with another "main force" Squadron.

Thanks in advance

Joss

Thanks

Default Farrington

Hi Joss,

Below is an extract from my book 'No 7 Bomber Squadron RAF in World War II' about Farrington. You can find out more about the book at rafhistorybooks.com. Hope the info helps.

"Siracourt was struck again on the 29th and ND897:MG-C, flown by F/Lt SEC Clarke, acting as Master Bomber, failed to return from the attack on the flying bomb site. Two members of the crew, Sgt CA Farrington and F/O D Mortimer survived to become POW’s. At 1358, approaching the target and flying into heavy flak, the aircraft took a mortal blow. The skipper ordered the crew to abandon. The aircraft was already corkscrewing when Farrington jumped. Convinced that he was going to be hit by the inner props, he was amazed to be free falling, counting and then the feel of his canopy breaking open above him. He saw only one other parachute that of the Bomb Aimer, F/Lt D Mortimer and then the aircraft exploded in mid-air. Upon landing in a cornfield, Farrington scrambled into the nearest bomb crater and endured the rest of the force making their bomb runs. With the raid over, the Germans were soon out looking for bodies and did not take long to find him. Having gone through a number of potential death situations – the target marking, the flak, the escape, the landing sand the rest of the bombing- he faced one more major worry when he found himself staring down the barrel of a German rifle. Eventually he was taken to a POW camp near Krakow in Poland and then marched back to within 25km of Berlin. After being abandoned by the German Army Farrington was able to search through German filing cabinets prior to the Soviets arriving and managed to secure his own POW papers, being finally ‘liberated’ by the Red Army in 1945."

Yours

Tom

Thanks

hello Tom,

I've tried to find a copy of your book during my last visit to "The Aviation Bookshop" in Tunbridge Wells in february, but they didn't have any... Bad luck as I'm very interested in No. 7 Squadron, a unit which lost many planes in my research area, in northern France. Is this the only way to buy a copy of your book ?

Do you happen to know the first names of Sgt C.A. Farrington ? From what source did you have the details about his narrow escape by parachute, etc... From a K report ? Do you know if he filed a PoW Questionnaire ? I failed to find it at Kew but I may have done it wrongly...

Do you know the exact location of the crash site, or where the main pieces of wreckage fell ?

I have a Police report about a plane seen coming down in flames, but it just says that the plane was coming down in the direction of Valhuon, which is near St Pol sur Ternoise. But on that raid, two Lancasters crashed in the area of St Pol sur Ternoise, ND597 and LL910 of No. 12 Squadron, at Troisvaux. I hoped that Farrington's PoW questionnaire might help.

Thanks for your help

Joss

Thanks

Default Farrington

Hi again,

What you have is all I have I am afraid. You can order the book through the Amazon website or direct from the publisher Pen & Sword on their website.

Yours

Tom

Thanks

Default Farrington again.

Initials were CA and believe middle name was Anthony.

Yours

Tom

Thanks

hello Tom,

As you didn't mention it, I presume there's no 'K report' about that loss ?

I'll try to get information through Canada as F/O Kenneth DAVIS was R.C.A.F., and this might give up some details, like the place where the body of F/Sgt R.J. POWELL was found. He's the only member of the crew with a grave, and details should be found in the MRES investigation.

I'll keep you posted if I find anything new about this case.

Joss

Thanks

Joss,

I am at the NA next week, I will try and dig out a copy of the 'K' Report or PoW Questionnaire for you time permitting.

Cheers

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jossleclercq View Post
    hello Tom,

As you didn't mention it, I presume there's no 'K report' about that loss ?

I'll try to get information through Canada as F/O Kenneth DAVIS was R.C.A.F., and this might give up some details, like the place where the body of F/Sgt R.J. POWELL was found. He's the only member of the crew with a grave, and details should be found in the MRES investigation.

I'll keep you posted if I find anything new about this case.

Joss
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

hello Steve,

Thanks for your offer. I have Donald MORTIMER's PoW questionnaire, but I failed to find one for FARRINGTON.

Do as you can, time permitting.

Cheers

Joss