Thread: BoB family commemoration in New Brunswick, Canada

Thanks

Default BoB family commemoration in New Brunswick, Canada

I am seeking the assistance of members. There were 20 New Brunswick pilots who served during the Battle of Britain. Five were killed. This September 10, 2013 the Turnbull Chapter of the Canadian Aviation Historical Society, in association with 250 Wing, RCAFA, will bring together the families of these five kia pilots, as well as the families of the fifteen survivors.

This will be held at the Wade-Myles (aviation) Park. We have also invited S/L JS Hart, DFC, the remaining Canadian BoB pilot who hails from Sackville, NB.

If you have researched any of the New Brunswck pilots, or if you know of any descendants of these New Brunswick BoB pilots, please let me know. My goal is having all 20 families represented.

My email direct is saintjohnheritage@yahoo.ca

More to follow.

Thanks

Pop up the names of the 20. Cheers.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default BoB New Brunswick famlies

hi Dennis: I don't have all twenty names...I'm hoping to compile that list from replies here. These are the names I do have:

Duncan Hewitt
    Robert Wilson
    Harry Hamilton
    Alex Trueman
    Pat Sclanders - these five were kia

These are the only ones I know survived BoB

Ralph Weston
    Tom Harnett
    Ralph Kierstead
    John S. Hart, DFC - still lives in Canada, only remaining BoB pilot

So here are 9 of the 20....almost half way there. If anyone else can help, much appreciate it.

Thanks

Hello,

Advise you to check this listing:

http://www.bbm.org.uk/pilots-ca.htm

l have never seen Kierstead (40230) or Weston (37703) in any Battle of Britain listing.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 10th June 2013 at 00:40.

Thanks

http://www.bgcha.ca/HamiltonMtfam.html

Ralph Keirstead of Saint John had originally qualified as a pilot at Millidgeville, travelled to England and joined the RAF along with Harry. He was sombre in discussion of the day in England he learned of Harry's death. Ralph related how in 1940 Harry as a seasoned RAF pilot had liased and passed on his expertise of the Spitfire and Hurricane to Canadian Squadrons. He said it was a dark day indeed. Ralph went on to fly bombers, command a squadron, survive and return home after the war.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Default Kierstead & Weston

Their names appear on local lists, but I've not found on any "official" lists. Kierstead and his 4 brothers all became pilots. so very interested in knowing more about him. Ive found the name Mitchell from New Brunswick...so slowly getting there.

Thanks

Default Hamilton web site

Hi, I've seen this site. Harry's nephew was at our BoB ceremony last year when we dedicated a large portrait of the three Bob pilots who trained at Millidgeville...Hewitt, Hamilton and Sclanders.

Quote Originally Posted by alieneyes View Post

http://www.bgcha.ca/HamiltonMtfam.html

Ralph Keirstead of Saint John had originally qualified as a pilot at Millidgeville, travelled to England and joined the RAF along with Harry. He was sombre in discussion of the day in England he learned of Harry's death. Ralph related how in 1940 Harry as a seasoned RAF pilot had liased and passed on his expertise of the Spitfire and Hurricane to Canadian Squadrons. He said it was a dark day indeed. Ralph went on to fly bombers, command a squadron, survive and return home after the war.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?9289-Use-of-Quote-Function

Try not use the quote function, refer to message numbers
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Sclanders according to TSGNO was from Newfoundland.

Using TSGNO, Aces High & Those other Eagles there are 32 Canadians as defined by BoBHS web site I can't ascribe to a state. Beadmore E.W., Briese C.E., Brown M.K., Byng-Hall P., Carrier J.C., Carthew G.C.T., Denison R.W., Dibnah R.H., Elliott G.JJ., Frizell., C.G., Harnett T.P., Hillock F.W., Lonsdale R.H., MacLachlan J.R., McColl J.B., Millar W.B.MacD., Milne J.A., Molson H. deM., Niven H.G., Norris R.W., O'Brian P.G.St.G.,Pattison J.D., Pitcher P.B., Porter O.W., Pushman G.R., Reyno E.M., Ricks L.P.V.J.,Sprague H.A., Trevena C.W., Trueman A.A.G., Young J.S., Yuile A.McL.

Thanks

Default TSNGO is wrong

Thanks for this. TSNGO is wrong and its a common mistake. Sclanders was from Saint John, New Brunswick. Many mistakenly confuse Saint John, with St. Johns, Newfoundland. We used to abbreviate Saint John as St. John many many years ago.

I've been working through several lists, official and otherwise and it now appears that there were NOT 20 from my province but in fact there were 7, of which 5 were kia. Some records put HW Mitchell as being from New Brunswick or Ontario, so I'm in contact with his family for confirmation.

Thanks to all who have helped.

Quote Originally Posted by John Larder View Post
    Sclanders according to TSGNO was from Newfoundland.

Using TSGNO, Aces High & Those other Eagles there are 32 Canadians as defined by BoBHS web site I can't ascribe to a state. Beadmore E.W., Briese C.E., Brown M.K., Byng-Hall P., Carrier J.C., Carthew G.C.T., Denison R.W., Dibnah R.H., Elliott G.JJ., Frizell., C.G., Harnett T.P., Hillock F.W., Lonsdale R.H., MacLachlan J.R., McColl J.B., Millar W.B.MacD., Milne J.A., Molson H. deM., Niven H.G., Norris R.W., O'Brian P.G.St.G.,Pattison J.D., Pitcher P.B., Porter O.W., Pushman G.R., Reyno E.M., Ricks L.P.V.J.,Sprague H.A., Trevena C.W., Trueman A.A.G., Young J.S., Yuile A.McL.