Thread: Photographs of 3(f) squadron

Thanks

Default Photographs of 3(f) squadron

Hello everyone,

Can anybody help me in finding out where I can find photographs of the men who severed with 3 (f) squadron ?

It's really from the Typhoon and Tempest days that I'm looking for as my grandfather served on the squadron from October 1943 until December 1944 when he was killed. I have seen the IWM photograph collection which is great , but I'm now hunting to see if there are any other avenues.

Many thanks
    James

Thanks

Hello James, what was your grandfather's name?
    Hertfordshire Airfields Memorial Group - www.hamg.co.uk

Thanks

Hi Jim,

His name was F/Lt Malcolm F Edwards 133358. He was promoted to Flight Lieutenant in September 1944. He was known to his colleges as "Eddie"

Many thanks
    James

Thanks

Hi James,
    Have you got a book A Soldier in the Cockpit by Ron Pottinger? There are several photos of the No. 3 Sqn's personnel.

Regards
    Mojmír

Thanks

Hi Mojmir,

I have a copy of Ron Pottingers book yes, unfortunately my grandfather is not in the photos, but he is mentioned on a few pages.

Best wishes and thanks
    James

Thanks

James,

There is a mention of your grandfather in 'Three's Company' by Jack T C Long -

'On 29 December Flt Lt M F Edwards in EJ803 was shot down by a 109 of JG27 north of Rheine. He had just returned to the squadron after suffering injury during harvest time at Newchurch. He was sent to Halton RAF Hospital with a septic foot, then sent to the West Country flying target tugs. He returned to No. 3 on 8 December, and on the 25th 'had a squirt at an Me262'. He was killed on his ninth flight after return.'

Unfortunately there is no photo of him in the book, there is however one of F/O Slade-Betts who was killed the same day as your grandfather.
    Hertfordshire Airfields Memorial Group - www.hamg.co.uk

Thanks

Hello Jim ,

Thank you very much for the entry that appears in Jack Longs book, I shall have to get a copy of this book for my collection. It's nice to hear that Malcolm appears in some books. Yes it's a shame there is no picture of him but it's good to see a photo of Ken Slade-Betts, especially as I have managed to make contact with his family.

Many thanks

James

Thanks

Hi James,

I guess you've seen Brian Cull 's 'Diver, Diver, Diver' which has over 20 mentions of your Grand Father. Regretablly no photos .
    regards Peter

Thanks

Hello Peter ,

I have seen "Diver Diver Diver" yes, it a great book full of infomation. It's good to see my grandfather mentioned in it, and to see some of the reports of the V1 days. Thankyou for your message re the book but yes alas no photographs of him. But fingers crossed something may comd up.

Best wishes
    James