Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 Group Battle School / WWII

Thanks

Default 6 Group Battle School / WWII

Can anyone tell me the physical location of Battle School in Dalton? Were the barracks etc near the village? I know RAF Dishforth and RAF Topcliffe were nearby, but I can find no mention of where the school was physically located. Does any infrastructure remain?
    All the best in the new year to all members!
    Cheers, Clint

Thanks

Hi Clint

I can't give you an exact location but assume it was somewhere on RAF Dalton.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.17.../data=!3m1!1e3

Malcolm

Thanks

Thank you Malcolm...it's obvious now you point that out. I didn't realize there was an airbase there...I pictured an Army type barracks somewhere around the village. It looks like some of the buildings are still in use on the industrial estate.
    Cheers, Clint

Thanks

I have come across Battle Schools in my research but not recorded any detail. I assume this refers to the RAF Regiment training school and if so I didn't realise it used the same RAF Group structure.

In that general area there was an RAF Regiment Field Training Area at Spaunton Moor. I believe this may have been an Army training area prior to its use by the RAF. It closed in 1946, moving to Battle Hill and Spaunton Moor was suggested as a replacement for Helmsley Moor air bombing range, however both were located in the proposed National Park so this never progressed.

I understand the Army had Battle Schools organised on a regional basis but more than that I do not know.

Thanks

Pavel may be able to add to this from his book:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=qgV...School&f=false

Dave

Thanks

You've not indicated how much you've uncovered already, Clint, but the unit's ORB is filed in the National Archives - AIR 29/754/2 (6 RCAF) Group Battle School. The file summary describes it as forming at RAF Dalton in June 1943, eventually becoming 6 Group Aircrew School in June 1944.

Interestingly it does not seem to appear as a unit in the station summary at http://www.rafweb.org/Stations/Stations-D.htm#Dalton.

Brian

Thanks

Thanks all for your input. In any of the aircrew autobiographies I have read, Battle School is only mentioned in passing, if at all.
    Thank you Brian, I have downloaded the Daily Diary , but only for the month my Dad and his crew were there...December 1943 ... if I had gone back further I might have gotten a better background.
    Whoever wrote the Diary for December '44 sure had a sense of humour ... I chuckled afew times reading the lighthearted entries. I sounds like it was wet, cold and muddy there, and with poor food. I sure Dad and Co. were "glad to see the back of it" and move on to H.C.U.
    I was curious about daily life there...if anyone has any first hand accounts etc they would like to share, I would appreciate it. Thank you PNK and Dave for your input!
    All the best, Clint

Thanks

Hi Clint, I should have few pages form the ORB as Dave mentioned but they will be just for the latter time around March 1944, I am not sure if I have also those from the beginning of September 1943. I can check it only in January if you would be still interested.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PNK View Post
    I have come across Battle Schools in my research but not recorded any detail. I assume this refers to the RAF Regiment training school and if so I didn't realise it used the same RAF Group structure.

In that general area there was an RAF Regiment Field Training Area at Spaunton Moor. I believe this may have been an Army training area prior to its use by the RAF. It closed in 1946, moving to Battle Hill and Spaunton Moor was suggested as a replacement for Helmsley Moor air bombing range, however both were located in the proposed National Park so this never progressed.

I understand the Army had Battle Schools organised on a regional basis but more than that I do not know.
    Hello

From my understanding, it was during the "Battle School" stage that aircrews were "trained" for evasion in enemy territory. After talks given by evaders sharing their experience, they were driven away from base, with no money, no ID proof, etc..., and tasked to come back on their own, and avoid capture by policemen, MPs, etc...

regards

Joss

Thanks

Hi all, the training in the "Battle School" was focused exactly as Joss mentioned - evasion in enemy territory. Including some "sabotage" training.
    Anyway Clint, I have photographed following months of the No. 6 Group Battle School, RAF Dalton, ORB: 8-11/1943 + 2-3/1944
    So if you are interested I can send them via the online storage as it ias around 94 MB.
    Just a quick glance to September 1943 showed no exact location of the school but Site No. 5 has been mentioned twice so probably it was used as billets for the School? You have to get a plan of the RAF Station Dalton (if available in the RAF Museum Hendon study) and there you may found where the Site No. 5 has been located... If the plan would be from the latter years of WWII you might be lucky and found there somethin more about the Battle School (but no guarantee).

HTH

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz