Thread: Lancaster MkIII Crash Site

Thanks

Default Lancaster MkIII Crash Site

I have the GPS co ordinates of a crash site in Germany at 53 25'6 . 08 N 9 40' 38 . 71 E Please can anyone tell what aircraft this might be or where or who to ask. It is believed it was a Lancaster MkIII from identified parts found. It came down at 02.02am on 3 Aug 1943. (Luftgau X1) Thanks for any information. Tony

Thanks

Tony,

Believe this to be Lancaster [JA696] DX-J of 57s lost on this date during Hamburg raid. I have the crash site as Nindorf, extremely close to the coordinates you give.

dg

Thanks

I don't think it is JA696 because that crashed North of Nindorf. I also don't think JA696 was a type III but somebody could correct me on that one. My site is East of Nindorf between there and Daenon. From bits of wreckage found it is a Type III A. Tony

Thanks

Tony,
    JA696 was indeed a Lancaster Mk III.
    Bill.

Thanks

Hi again. JA696 exploded in the air. Is that correct? It came down 1.5km North of Nindorf. The crash site I speak of is 1.6km east of Nindorf and 1.4 km west of Daenson. The distance between the two crash sites is 2.1km.. The crash site is a big water filled pond and can be seen on Google Earth at the coordinates I said. It lies a few metres to the east of the brook, Este. Is it possible that a big piece of JA 696 was blown the distance I mention and could pieces of the bomb bay and of a Merlin engine travel that far after the explosion? As a side, I have it on good local authority that it was an aircraft and not bits that crashed. Also, is there a difference in the time of JA696 crashing to the site I speak of to my crash at 02.02am as per Luftgau XI? The time of JA696 crashing is not mentioned in the LuftgauXI. Any comments are most welcome. Tony

Thanks

Hi Tony,
    I would suggest that your crash site is possibly that of ED 645 of 103 Squadron. You state that JA 696 came down N. of Nindorf, as did an aircraft that exploded in mid-air. That would have been DS 715, a Mk II Lanc of 115 Squadron.
    Accordingly, from what I've been able to glean from a few sources, that leaves ED 645 as the most likely candidate.
    Hope this helps,
    Bill.

Thanks

Hi again. Thank you for your input. I believe the site that I have mentioned with the GPS coordinates I gave is an unknown aircraft. The GPS coordinates are correct as near as it matters. The refs to a/c I have used are what others have told me so my latest quip about JA696 could be totally wrong or right. I understood rightly or wrongly that the aircraft that crashed on 3/8/43 1.5km north of Nindorf was a type II that had blown up in the air. The scraps of wreckage found at the location I have given refer to a type III. As I mentioned the identity is not known. I understand that in 1946 the site was visited by the Air Ministry but it was deemed that it was too difficult to retrieve the wreck and any crew. It may well be that it lies 20m down in boggy land as it is claimed it was in a very steep dive by eyewitness account.

Now here is the cat amongst the pigeons. Could it be W5000 which is the only a/c which is missing with no known location other than the claim by Lt Leube which also may or may not be wrong on the 3 August 1943? The big question that I am trying to find some sort of answer to is that the site is an unknown Type III Lancaster which crashed at 02.02 on 3/8/1943. Via a process of elimination it would seem that it could be W5000. Does any one agree or totally disagree and if so on what grounds? Thanks for any responses Tony