Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing Commander Charles Sandford Wynne-Eyton D S O, A F C

Thanks

Default Wing Commander Charles Sandford Wynne-Eyton D S O, A F C

Can anyone further information on the death of Wing Commander Charles Sandford Wynne-Eyton who died on 14/11/1944 and is buried at Choloy War Cemetery in France.

Also interested in details of his DSO and AFC.

Many thanks,

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Check first his age on CWGC, 56 years, doubt he was flying.

Flight magazine casualty communiques does however have him

Killed on Active Service, so it points to an air accident in my mind.

Back to cwgc.org and lok at the cemetery and sort the casualties by date who are buried there and you find a list of 8 officers and airmen,
    McDONALD, ERNEST HECTOR (MAC) Group Captain 2A. A. 8. <<<--- GRO Unit is 144 MU
    SMITH, WILLIAM DAVID Flight Sergeant 567791 2A. A. 7. <<<--- GRO Unit is 144 MU
    MENTIPLY, JAMES CARMICHAEL Pilot Officer 178715 (Nav) 2A. A. 11. << 216 Squadron>>
    WYNNE-EYTON, CHARLES SANDFORD Wing Commander 9186 2A. A. 9. <<-- GRO unit is HQ MAAF
    BIDDISS, RONALD HERBERT Sergeant (Wop/AG) 1603210 2A. A. 12. <<-- RAF Maison Blance
    TUCKER, FRANK HENRY GEORGE Leading Aircraftman 921278 2A. A. 10. <<<--- GRO Unit is 144 MU
    DAWSON, GRAHAME GEORGE Air Vice Marshal 2A. A. 13. <<-- HQ MAAF
    BOUCHIER, HARRY STANGER Squadron Leader 67189 2A. A. 14. <<--HQ MAAF REAR

Those names also all appear in the Fligth Casualty list.
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1945/1945%20-%200676.html?search=WYNNE-EYTON

Looks like an aircraft transitting France with MAAF men on board.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 13th June 2013 at 17:30.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hello,

Liberator II AL584 of 144 MU (Middle East Command), flew into a mountain in snowstorm near Autun, France 14-11-1944. Aircraft was en route from Middle East to Lyneham.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 13th June 2013 at 19:16.

Thanks

Thanks all. Between you you have confirmed what I suspected, killed on a transport aircraft.

Many thanks,

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Hello,

Wynne-Eyton was awarded his DSO in the 1918 New Year's Honour List:

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30450/supplements/27

see: pp.17 & 27.

You will find details of his AFC here:

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/36544/supplements/2647

Couple of other things. Wynne-Eyton was believed to have been the pilot of AL584 (he had over 1,000 hours on type), and his service number was 09186, not 9186 as mentioned earlier.

I can't recall my source for the above information, it could have been Dave Smith. Confirmation, or otherwise, would be welcomed.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 14th June 2013 at 12:24.

Thanks

Thanks for the extra info Col.

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Charles Sandford (Sandy) Wynne-Eyton was my great uncle and something of a family hero, having seen active service in both wars. We believe he was the oldest operating pilot in the Second World War. He was also notable for his magnificent, yet failed, attempt to fly solo across the Atlantic in 1930. My family believed he had been killed over the Pyrenees whilst transporting a group of VIPs. He remained to us missing in action, and we understood that his aircraft had never been found. It wasn’t until 2003, when my father received an email from a visitor to Choloy, that we were made aware of his final resting place.
    We have been fascinated to read this post, mostly because it has clarified the small point of which range of mountains Sandy met his demise! Also, having carried out some further research, it appears that two aircraft crashed in the same snowstorm on the same night. One was the Liberator AL584 mentioned above (flying from Algiers to Paris) and the other an Avro York flying from Northolt to Ceylon, with Leigh-Mallory and his wife on board. It took 7 months for the Avro York to be found. We haven’t found evidence (we hope to find a copy of Sandy’s log book) to suggest which of these two aircraft Sandy was flying. We believe it is most likely that he was flying the Liberator but if we are to believe the stories passed down through the family, there is the small possibility that he was in the Avro York. We suspect that the crew and passengers of both flights would have been buried in local graveyards, until they were moved, possibly together, to Choloy as part of the post-war consolidation of war graves.
    Thank you to Jim Corbett for starting this thread, and the other contributors for helping to shed a little light on the final few hours of our great uncle.
    I have a clipping from a newspaper report of Sandy’s death. I will try and attach it now.
    Best wishes
    Lucy Beck (previously Wynne-Eyton)

Thanks

Many thanks for the extra information on your great uncle Lucy and I'm glad my initial post has provided you and the family with some new information.

Are you also related to Arthur George Nevill Wynne-Eyton? He served with the Air Transport Auxiliary during WWII. I am working on an ATA project at the moment so any background and photos you can provide would be most welcome.

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Hi Jim
    Arthur George Wynne-Eyton was my grandfather and much younger half brother of Sandy. I'll see what information I can gather and get back to you.
    Best wishes
    Lucy

Thanks

LucyB,

You can be assured that W/C Wynne-Eaton was not in the York, the pilot of which was - perhaps strangely - called Lancaster!!

Leigh-Mallory - brother of George - was en route to India and the aircraft 'cut the corner' on the planned route, which goes some way to explain why it was not found until the Spring thaw set in. Both L-M brothers, therefore, died on mountains and weren't found for sometime. The officer who did the Board of Enquiry was himself killed in almost identical circumstances to L-M when flying to Norway in May 1945.

L-M, Lady Dorothy L-M and the others were buried in a village below the crash site in the French Alps not too far from Grenoble.

AVM Dawson, who was with Wynne-Eyton, was responsible for the logistics support service in the Middle East when Tedder was in charge and Tedder pays tribute to him.

Colin Cummings