Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF Service numbers

Thanks

Default RAF Service numbers

Hi All,

Does anyone know if it possible to tell when a person joined the RAF from their service number? For example Sergeant number 562414 would you be able to tell the year he joined ? Also would this NCO number be different from his number on enlistment?

Thanks

There are threads on this in various place in this forum

eg
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?13206-RAF-Manpower-and-Deferred-Service

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?27-RAF-RAF-OR-Service-Numbers

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?12938-Help-with-RAF-Service-Number-Blocks

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Highgroundsman, Hi,
    There is a list of Enlistment Numbers/Dates/Places on this Forum. From that it is possible to determine, roughly, when/where any bod may have Enlisted. In them days yr Enlistment Number stayed with you, regardless of promotions, unless you were Commissioned. Then you got a new Officers Number.
    Nowadays you seem to get one number on going into the RAF and keep it regardless. I was a Nat Svc Airman in the early 50's. I then became a Civilian. But when I was Commissioned, in the late 60's, I got the same number as I had had as a NSA.
    There are patterns to Enlisted Numbers. Wg Cdr(Ret) Jim Routledge (on this forum) is an authority. There are no patterns (at least, not yet discovered!) to Officer Numbers. There are some small blocks which have the same bods/Branch, etc. Big problem - many have (or are) worked on the numbers game! It could drive you round the bend!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

PS Yr man looks as if he Enlisted as an Aircraft Apprentice some time after Jan 1926. His DoB may help in determining just when. See what I mean?
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 13th June 2013 at 16:01.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks Ross/Peter.

The man I am trying to trace has been discussed some years back on here, he was a Reconnaissance pilot with 1 PRU and 544 Sq. His name is William Ronald Acott. DFC Thanks to people on here and a bit of digging myself I managed to find that he was Commissioned on 4th April 1940 his number then being 43473.

There seemed to be quite a bit on him in LG up to 1947 and Errol said on here in 2005 that he was on the retirement list of 1975 as W/C. But nobody seemed to know anything about him prior to his commission other than DoB which is 1st Mar 1912.

Peter, I found him in Flight archive on 21 February 1935 as an AC1 then again mentioned 29 October 1936 having been awarded a Distinguished Pass with 4 FTS at Abu Sueir, Egypt. But can`t find when he joined the RAF. He hailed from Malling,Kent.

Does this help track him down to an enlistment date Peter/Ross?

Regards
    Dave

Thanks

Hi,

I have 562460 Halton Apprentice - enlisted January 1928 - 17 Entry.

Just noticed, I wonder if he claimed the RAF Long Service Good Conduct Medal as it looks like he completed the minimum 12 years NCO service !

Mark
    Last edited by Marks; 13th June 2013 at 18:19. Reason: RAF LSGC

Thanks

That`s great!

Thanks Mark. Re that Long Service / Good Conduct medal He is listed under that category in Flight of 21st Feb 35, yet this is after only 7 years? Would this just have been a Good Conduct medal?

Regards
    Dave

Thanks

He would have been 16 years (max 17 years) as a Halton Apprentice. A 1928 join date makes sense if he was born in 1912. There is no way he could have earned the RAF LS&GC in 1935. Sure its the same chap?

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Jonny,

Thanks for your input. I looked at that entry for 21/2/35 again and see it was AC1 W `A` Acott not AC1 W R Acott, but odd thing is I can`t find a W.A.Acott at that time on LG that was RAF. so it does look just like a typo in Flight for W `R`

I think I`ll have to disregard this entry though and just go with what I have that he was with 4 FTS in Oct 36. Given the time scale from joining I would imagine he was a Sergeant by then.

So looks like he joined in March 1928 or soon after as a Halton Apprentice.

Agreed, re the medal.

Thanks.
    Dave

Thanks

The London Gazette contains mainly details of officers after commishion, it is not designed or intended to contain information on non commishioned members unless they have received certain awards, hence there is no reason to expect to find W. A. Acott in the LG around 1935 since he had just spent maybe 10 years as an airman!!

LG - mainly officer data

To find a possible W A Acott's look in the AIR78 indexes.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks Denis,

Wasn`t thinking straight this morn, It dawned on me later as an AC1 he wouldn`t be on LG.

I looked in AIR 78 as you suggested and did find that there was a W A Acott after all Walter Albert Acott 1608477 so at least that tidied up that little query.

Regards
    Dave