Thread: Avro Lancaster ME584 crash 7th September 1945

Thanks

Default Avro Lancaster ME584 crash 7th September 1945

Can anyone give me any more details about the accident involving this Lancaster? I understand it crashed near Hullavington (?).My relative,AC1 Roland Meadows was killed in the crash.Any information about the other members of the crew,cause and location of the crash and the unit involved would be very much appreciated.B

Thanks

Hi Barnsley, according to the A-B RAF serial book MA100-MZ999, pg. 21

Lancaster I ME584 Empire Central Flying School.
    Stalled on three engine overshoot and crashed, Hullavington, 7.9.45, destroyed by fire..

HTH

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

The crew of this aircraft were: S/L Roy Reynolds GREGORY, Capt Edward Robert LARTER 33 DFC AFC SAAF, A/C1 Herbert Maurice BIRD 33, A/C1 Roland MEADOWS 18 and A/C2 John GRAY. I do not have the name of the sole survivor.

The two pilots had over 3000 & 2300 hours but little experience on the Lancaster. After 35 minutes the aircraft made an asymmetric approach with one engine feathered. It landed heavily and the crew opened the throttles for an overshoot and unfeathered the dead engine. However, an uncorrected swing developed and the aircraft stalled, dived into the ground and was destroyed by fire.

Hope this helps.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Thank you so much Pavel and Colin.My family always said there was one survivor from the crash.I really appreciate your help. B

Thanks

Hi Barnsley
    Roland Meadows was my uncle. Group Captain John Meadows his one brother, and Flight Sergeant Stanley Meadows (my father) his other brother. They all graduated from RAF Halton (I actually have a video of it taken by the Polish contingent who were graduating at the same time). I would need to talk to my father or uncle, but I believe that there was one survivor, whose name I cannot remember. He was badly burned and ended up working in the tower at Heathrow.
    Regards,

Thanks

Default Avro Lancaster Crash ME584, 7 September 1945

Hello All

The following is from my uncle, John Meadows (Roland Meadows' younger brother):
    This is fascinating and correct. The survivor was Tony Allard who also graduated with the 46th Entry from Halton. The 3 ex apprentices had all been selected for aircrew and were awaiting flying training but had this chance of an air experience flight.
    Tony Allard was badly burned and spent a long time in the burns unit at RAF Cosford, where I visited him on a few occasions. As far as I know he was thrown clear on crashing but went back into the wreck to try to save his colleagues. Their graves are at the War Memorial Cemetery Haycombe, Bath. John Gray was the brother of Sgt Gray VC.

The following is from my father, Stanley Meadows (Roland's older brother):
    Iím sorry to say that I can add little or nothing to fill in any gaps which may exist as I was in India at the time and not granted compassionate leave. I vaguely remember mention being made of the fact that Tony Allard had been thrown clear and went back to try and rescue some of the others and became badly burned in the process, but beyond that I know virtually nothing. Just prior to being posted to Hullavington Roland had taken the Passing Out parade at Halton, where he was the senior Sgt Apprentice. Roland reported to Lord Trenchard (the Father of the Royal Air Force) who highly commended him for his command of the parade, and he wished him a highly successful future in the RAF.

Thank you all for your information. This has been a greatly enlightening experience!

Sincerely,
    Niall Meadows

Thanks

Hi, I read this thread with great interest as my father was a mid upper gunner in Lancaster's during 1944/5 with 50 squadron. What astonished me somewhat is that my fathers name was JOHN ROLAND MEADOWS! , i.e. a combination of your uncles names. As these are not the commonest names in existence I found this interesting. I still have my fathers logbook, which is a fascinating record. He survived the war and a few crash landings but ironically was killed by a speeding motorist whilst at work as a postman in 1970. I also have his post war squadron photograph in it's shell case.

yours sincerely

Allan Meadows