Thread: DFC and AFC citations - NK McCallum

Thanks

Default DFC and AFC citations - NK McCallum

Hello,

I am trying to track down my grandfather’s DFC and AFC citations and recommendations, and have been directed here as somewhere that might be able to help. He is 94 now and has never seen them so it would be fantastic to find them.

His relevant details are:

• Neil Kenneth McCallum

• 104069V - SAAF - Flight Lieutenant - 40 Squadron ~1940-46

• 59350 - RAF - Squadron Leader - Chief Flying Instructor, then 79 Squadron ~1946-55

The DFC and AFC awards are listed in the London Gazette without citation. The DFC on 21st August 1945 (p4225), and the AFC on 1st January 1949 (p31).

Any help/pointers would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks,
    Owen

Thanks

McCALLUM, Neil Kenneth, Lieutenant (104069V, South African Air Force) - No.40 Squadron, South African Air Force - Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 21 August 1945. Citation from Air Ministry Bulletin 19461.

"Lieutenant McCallum has proved to be an exceptionally keen and able pilot who has done outstanding work. He has distinguished himself in photographic reconnaissance sorties. On one occasion he completed an outstanding reconnaissance of the Italian coastline south of Chinegie [?]. Intense anti-aircraft fire was encountered on this mission but, undeterred, Lieutenant McCallum repeated the flight the next day to complete his photographs. His dogged determination and great courage have been an asset to the squadron."

Sorry, no joy with AFC.

Thanks

Owen

Could you elaborate on "Chief Flying Instructor, then 79 Squadron ~1946-55" ?

79 Squadron disbanded on 30 December 1945, so did you actually mean to say he was a CFI from 1946 to 1955?

Brian

Thanks

Hugh -

That is absolutely fantastic, many many thanks for finding that so quickly! I'm really very grateful. I will take it over to him tomorrow, I'm sure he'll be over the moon to see it - it has taken the best part of 70 years to track it down!

Brian -

Sorry that wording is slightly ambiguous. He transferred from SAAF to RAF after the war finished, and was promptly posted back to Africa (Rhodesia, RAF Heany) as a CFI. 79 Squadron was reformed in the early 1950s (per Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._79_Squadron_RAF) and he was Squadron Leader in that phase. As an aside one of his Flying Officers in 79 Squadron was a certain Ray Hanna!

If there is any interest I might be able to post his account of the DFC mission from his memoirs.

Many thanks again for the help, really much appreciated. I will get in touch with Kew to try next and see if they have any thoughts on the AFC citation.

Owen

Thanks

Owen

"The Air Force Cross (AFC) is a military decoration awarded to personnel of the United Kingdom Armed Forces, and formerly also to officers of the other Commonwealth countries, for 'an act or acts of valour, courage or devotion to duty whilst flying, though not in active operations against the enemy'. "

It was an award that several Meteorological Flight pilots were given at the end of their tours, from the inception of Met Flights in 1918 to 1945; it was a recognition of the fact that although they didn't face the enemy they nevertheless flew in hazardous conditions (zero visibility and cloud on the deck).

I use that simply as an example and their awards probably comes under the "devotion to duty whilst flying" element. I suggest that your grandfather also falls into this catagory and the citation, if one survives, will probably be along the lines that your grandfather had flown X number of hours, had been an exemplary tutor who led by example and was respected by pupils and colleagues.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 17th June 2013 at 23:36. Reason: Spelling and grammar

Thanks

Brian

Thanks - I agree that explanation probably makes most sense. I'll bump the thread if I get any luck with Kew, and confirm whether it was really on those lines or not!

Owen