Thread: Mrs Marie Furkett ATA from New Zealand

Thanks

Default Mrs Marie Furkett ATA from New Zealand

Jim Corbett has alerted me to an omission from the Brief Glory list of ATA aircrew

Can anyone supply any more details about Mrs Marie Furkett, she learnt to fly at Wellington Aero Club pre war, I believe she was married to Mr B R Furkett Secretary of the club and tell me her final ATA rank?

Thanks

Paul

Thanks

She took her licence with the Wellington Aero Club as Miss Edith Elizabeth Marie (Marie) Power-Collins, prior to her marriage to Bruce Roden Furkert. ‘A’ Licence No. 600 issued 17 Nov 33 and ‘A’ Endorsed 17 May 34.

“In 1943, with a total of about 130 flying hours, Marie went to England to join the ATA and was stationed near Oxford for six months. She could not, however, continue the course as she was not strong enough to handle the twin-engine aeroplanes. Marie than moved to London and joined the clerical staff of BOAC (British Overseas Airways Corporation).” (‘Sliver Wings – New Zealand Women in Aviation’ by Shirley Lainé and Pam Collings; Grantham House, 1989)

Errol

Thanks

Errol thanks - Probably explains omission in Brief Glory she never 'qualified' thanks Paul