Thread: 149 Squadron Post War enquiry

Thanks

Default 149 Squadron Post War enquiry

In 1947 1948 149 squadron appear to be operating in Lancaster MkI FE types, I have located reference to the term 'DING DONG' written in a log book apparently relating to bombing exercises or X Country sorties. Has anyone come across this or have any explanation of that term.

Thank you.

Thanks

Colin

I have just found this in 35 Squadron ORB's:

"DINGDONG EXERCISE: A co-operation exercise with Ack Ack Command in which ground cameras are triggered by transmissions from the VHF. The distributor of the bomb gear is connected with the VHF and the transmissions are actuated by the bomb release gear"

It doesn't seem to quite hang together as a sentence but it may provide you with a start point.

Regards

Pete
    Last edited by PeteT; 23rd June 2013 at 12:17.
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Colin, Pete T,
    Sounds very much like the Astro-Nav and Radar Bombing exercises/competitions that the V-Force, et al, used to do? Our lot nearly always got the NW corner of Barnsley railway station to clobber, but I suspect it's still there!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Pete/Peter

I was begining to think this one was going to escape the forums wealth of expertise - then the answer appears and it all makes sence, thank you both for providing your valued replies. It makes me wonder if it originated as PingPong bouncing VHF from the target to aircraft.

A big thanks.