Thread: Stirling of No.90 Squadron – France, March 1944

Thanks

Default Stirling of No.90 Squadron – France, March 1944

Hello/Bonjour

I am looking for a picture of the aircrew below (or - icing on the cake - any contact with a relative of F/O Yarwood or F/Sgt. Bulmer.) I contacted the historian of the Squadron, but unfortunately he cannot help me on this point.

Stirling MkIII
    EH906
    XY-T
    No.90 Squadron
    Hit by Flak of Avord airfield night 4-5 March 1944.
    Crashed St-Hilaire-de-Gondilly, France (Administrative department Cher)

F/Lt French – Royal Air Force – Killed
    Sgt Cashmore – Royal Air Force – POW
    F/O Yarwood – Royal Air Force - EVD
    F/Sgt Hoffberg – Royal Air Force – POW
    F/Sgt Farrington – Royal Air Force – POW
    F/Sgt Buchanan – Royal Australian Air Force - EVD
    F/Sgt Bulmer – Royal Air Force - EVD

All suggestions are the welcome.

All the best,
    Frederic

Thanks

For the background on work already done:

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?7330-Loss-No90-Sqdn-Night-4-5-March-1944

Also, F/Sgt Murray Morris Hoffberg was Canadian. RCAF, not RAF. He was from Hamilton, Ontario.

Best of luck with your search.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Hello

You may already have these references : Yarwood's evasion report is in WO 208/3319 (report 1926), Bulmer's is report 1927 is the same reference, while Buchanan's is in WO 208/3323 (report 2493), a later volume as he fought with patriots at Mont Mouchet in June 1944.

I don't have Yarwood's or Bulmer's evasion reports, but I have their appendix 'C', but there's no wartime address in them, as it would be on the evasion report's front page. It's not clear if you have these documents, as it would be a good starting point.

I have Hoffberg's PoW questionnaire first page, I confirm the details given by David, and his wartime address was in Toronto, Ontario. He must have been commissioned and promoted at some stage, as he's shown as a Flying Officer (J/58914) in 1945.

Joss

Thanks

Hello Dave and Joss,

Thank you for your replies and this correction about F/Sgt Murray Morris Hoffberg.

I have the two evasion reports (#1926 and 1927) but not their appendix 'C'. On the evasion reports, F/O Yarwood, its wartime address is: 47 Lowland Road, Haron-on-the-hill, Middlesex and for F/Sgt Bulmer : Herdhott, Great Ayton, Middlesborough, Yorkshire. But I don’t know very well the way to proceed.

I have a huge file, on this aircrew and the families who helped the evadees. And only one picture of an aircrew member, F/Sgt Buchanan, sent by my friend Claude Grimaud because he wrote last year a story about its escape through France (…as well as the ones of 16 Allied airmen).

Best rgards,
    Frederic

Thanks

Hi Frederic

I'm sure that address should be Harrow on the Hill, Middlesex.

Regards

Ian

Thanks

Hello

I'll send over to you by e-mail the documents.

As you have the wartime addresses, you have several ways to start : whitepages online (especially for Yarwood), local historical association, Library, local newspaper which would be interested in your research, parish Council, etc...

I know the book, I reviewed it for "aιrobibliothθque".

Good luck

Joss

Thanks

Hello Joss,

Thank you for these guidance. I received your Email and all the main names contained in these reports are the ones I had. My next step, find relatives of these airmen.

In fact, I heard of these two English airmen while I was on the track of two American airmen whose B-17 bomber had been hit by flak over Avord airfield on April 28, 1944. One family had hid Bulmer some few weeks before. About Claude's book, as he was writing chapters connected to several flyers of this crew (...reunited at the Mont-Mouchet), I helped him on this part of the story.

Again, thank you for your unvaluable assistance in my research.

Best regards,
    Frederic

Thanks

Did you have any success in contacting any of the aircrew or relatives?