Thread: W/O Bernard Aves, 218 Squadron

Thanks

Default W/O Bernard Aves, 218 Squadron

I shall be attending the above's funeral service at Hastings Crematorium tomorrow at 1315 hrs

Aged 90, he did 33 ops with 218 Squadron (probably as a pilot) and I am wondering if anyone has access to its ORBs for, I would imagine, 1944-1945

Unfortunately, as I've been away for a few days this request is very late but, nevertheless, I will tell his son that I hope that we may be able to find out something about Bernard's service career

Regards,
    Aubrey

Thanks

Further to the above, four photos were displayed yesterday
    1 Bernard, as AC2 cadet with white flash.
    2 As F/Sgt Pilot with 6 others
    3 One of 7 standing in front of Lancaster NF994 HA-N
    4 One of 10 standing below nose of N

I have since found in Roll of Honour, Allerton Bywater, West Yorkshire - War Memorial:
    BELLWOOD, Lawrence
    Flight Sergeant 1684437, Wireless Operator/Air Gunner, 218 Sqdn., R.A.F.V.R. Died 22nd April 1945.
    Son of Mrs. M. E. Bellwood, of Castleford. Buried in St. Mary Churchyard, Allerton Bywater, West Yorkshire.
    Killed when Lancaster NF994 HA-N crashed near Depden Green village, 1 mile SW of Chedburgh airfield. It had taken off for ops to Bremen at 14.59 hrs from Chedburgh but had returned early with engines problems.
    It crashed at 20.32 hrs killing 5 and injuring 2 more, 1 of which later died

A letter was read in which Bernard told how, returning from an op, they attracted enemy fire and as they approached base the starboard engine burst into flames.
    "I hoped to make the runway but the aircraft reached critical speed and started to swing to starboard. But there was nothing I could do. The starboard wing hit a small cottage and the aircraft hit the ground and broke up......Because I had no shoes" (his feet had been trapped under the rudder bar) "the Emergency team carried me to the ambulance. The next morning we were all happily reunited, as I ate my breakfast in bed."

The minister continued "A wonderful, if that is the right word, but also a frightening account of what aircrews experienced at times in those war years"

Appropriately, the curtains closed as RAFA and British Legion standards were lowered and the closing music was The Dam Busters March.

So his status and the time scale of operations have been confirmed.

Regards,
    Aubrey

Thanks

Thank you, Aubrey, for that.
    "At the going down of the sun, etc . . . . . . "
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 27th June 2013 at 11:53. Reason: Digits/keyboard not in sync!!
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

I read with great interest your article re Lawrence Bellwood, or Laurie as he was known to his family. Lawrence Bellwood was my fathers brother, I would be very interested if anyone had any photos of my uncle Laurie

Regards
    Dawn