Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Awards, September 1943 to January 1944

Thanks

Default No.72 Squadron awards

LANDON, Lawrence George, Flight Sergeant (561015, Royal Air Force) - No.72 Squadron - British Empire Medal - awarded as per London Gazette dated 17 September 1943. Public Record Office Air 2/8959, courtesy of Steve Brew, has citation. Mutilated document; some words uncertain.

"This airman has been in charge of an operational flight throughout the North African campaign. He has been a tower of strength [words missing] of a hazardous or arduous nature. His administrative [words missing] in his flight and in looking after his men at all [words missing] particularly good service as a result of which the lives of his men were saved by his prompt and effective first aid given after a land mine had exploded after an expedition toThelepte."

NORTON, Raymond Cyril, Warrant Officer (526684, Royal Air Force) - No.72 Squadron - Member, Order of the British Empire - awarded as per London Gazette dated 17 September 1943. Public Record Office Air 2/8959, courtesy of Steve Brew, has citation.

"Warrant Officer Norton has been in charge of the Squadron Armoury Section since the summer offensives of 1941 and 1942 and throughout the campaign in North Africa. The standard of his work during this period has been consistently high. Recently his section created a new low record in gun stoppages with belt feed cannons. Warrant Officer Norton's skill and excellent control of his section have undoubtedly contributed materially to the operational success of his squadron."

Thanks

Thanks very much Hugh, much appreciated.

Yours aye

Tom

Thanks

Thanks very much for trying Hugh. As I did not have to remind you, it would appear your memory is very much intact. I will keep checking back to this post to see if anyone else is able to come up with anything.

Leslie Trotter Zwingli

Thanks

[QUOTE=HughAHalliday;19355]For most awards the procedure was as follows. It began with a recommendation for an award, drafted by the person's superior. In the case of flying personnel this was commonly the squadron Commanding Officer. In some instances it might be a person of slightly lower status (for example, an AFC recommendation from a school might commence with the CFI before being cleared by thye CO; recommendation for a BEM to an airframe mechanic might start with the Maintenance Chief suggesting an award and the unit Commanding Officer passing it on).

Citation for Distinguished Service Order : 22 Feb 1944 : awarded to
    Group Captain Peter Langloh Donkin Commanding Officer 35 Wing :
    In recognition of gallantry and devotion to duty in operations. From a low level he took excellent photographs of a heavily defended section of the French coat. As a Commanding Officer he distinguished himself with outstanding leadership and his careful planning and discipline have enabled his squadrons to undertake sustained offensive and photographic operations with notable success.
    Steve
    stephen.collins@bigpond.com
    +61 2 6361 9675

Thanks

Default Wing Commander Cottam

Hugh, I am a new member from Australia. My specialty is 455 Squadron and Russia as well as 463 Squadron. My father was W/O Robert Raebel BEM.

What I am really trying to find out is W/C Cottam RAF, in your list of citations, was he the same as F/Lt Cottam air attache Moscow 1942. He was probably decorated for that.

Regards

Geoff Raebel
    Sydney
    Australia

Thanks

My apologies for a very late response.

COTTAM, James Birchley, Acting Wing Commander (63884. RAFVR) - No.329 Wing, Northwest Africa Air Forces - OBE awarded 1 January 1944.

This officer was sent to North Africa with the original assault force and within 48 hours of landing, he found a suitable site, requisitioned the premises, erected a complicated apparatus, improvised communications and had in being a working concern producing vakuable information. The work upon which his 400 men are employed is of an exacting and monotonous nature, but by his personal example, his good humour and hi genius for welfare organization, he has kept the men keen and happy, and has thereby maintained the results produced by his unit at a very high level,

Thanks

Default George Baker -Further info please

Please can you post any further details of awards, mentioned in dispatches for my late grandad. He was part of 209 Squadron

BAKER, George Wilson Wood, Warrant Officer - MBE- 440101 - * Port Ellen, Coastal Cmd - RAF

Thank you Stephen Tyrrell

Thanks

BAKER, George Wilson Wood, Warrant Officer (363343, Royal Air Force) - Station Port Ellen, Coastal Command - Member, Order of the British Empire - awarded as per London Gazette dated 1 January 1944. Public Record Office Air 2/8959, courtesy of Steve Brew, has citation.

"This Warrant Officer is the Station Signals Officer. He has shown great efficiency and had devoted many hours if duty in improving his own technical knowledge and ability in order to increase the efficiency of his section. He is an excellent disciplinarian and has built up the morale of the personnel to a very high standard."

Thanks

Default MAXWELL, Albert Edward, WO - AFC- 440101 - * Parachute Training S - RAFVR

Mr Halliday,

Could you please post the Citation of:

MAXWELL, Albert Edward, WO - AFC- 440101 - * Parachute Training S - RAFVR

I have recently aquired his AFC and would love to know what it was awarded for!

With Regards,

Tom

Thanks

MAXWELL, Albert Edward, Warrant Officer (904854, RAFVR*) - Parachute Training School, Ringway - Air Force Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 1 January 1944. Public Record Office Air 2/8959 (provided courtesy of Steve Brew) has citation

"This Warrant Officer has been a Parachute Instructor for nearly two years. Although 39 years of age he has made nearly 50 descents including several for experimental purposes from new types of aircraft. He has never shown any hesitation in carrying out jumps and his example has been an inspiration to numbers of considerably younger men. Warrant Officer Maxwell has shown great readiness to work long hours under any circumstances and has been an able leader of a very excellent team over a long period."