Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 102 Sqn Losses 22 Nov 1942

Thanks

Default 102 Sqn Losses 22 Nov 1942

My interest in 102 Squadron losses is that one of my relations Pilot Officer 115277 Geoffrey Bernard Herbert King, born September 1921, RAF Volunteer Reserve, was a pilot with 102 Squadron and crashed in Somme Picardie France 22 November 1942 and is buried at Abbeville Communal Cemetery Extension 6 J 11.

I do not have Geoffrey King's service record and do not know anything about his RAF service. I assume he was flying a Halifax at the time.

Thanks

Hi,
    Yes he was flying a Halifax W7914 DY-A. A witness states that the pilot was trying to make a control landing but it crashed into a high bank of earth. All 7 of the crew were killed and an all English crew.
    They were;
    P/O G B H King +
    Sgt H T Cheetham +
    F/O T H Follett +
    Sgt J Nicholson +
    Sgt B Clarkson +
    Sgt D Johnson +
    Sgt F B Thompson +

I hope that helps.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

John

Thanks for the information. It does help. I assume he was probably on his way to raid Stuttgart. He was a well liked member of the family and I was named after him when I was born. As his parents and brother are deceased and he and his brother had no children it is down to me to research him.

Do you think it is worth applying to the RAF for his service record? I have heard that many of them have been destroyed

Regards

Geoffrey King (Researchingreg).

Thanks

Thanks to John Williams post to this thread. I have found out more information on my relations plane crash and death 22 Nov 1942 - Please see the following information. Relations of his crew might be interested.-

Pilot Officer Geoffrey King 115277 RAF Volunteer Reserve – 102 Squadron RAF
    On 22 Nov 1942 he was flying a Halifax MK II - W7914 DY-A out of Pocklington Airfield.
    A witness states that the pilot was trying to make a controlled landing but the bomber crashed into a high bank of earth at Hangest sur Somme at 17.32. All 7 of the crew were killed. They were an all English crew. All buried at Abbeville Communal Cemetery Extension.
    They were;
    P/O Geoffrey Bernard Herbert King – Pilot – RAF Volunteer Reserve - buried Plot 6 Row J Grave 11 - Age 21
    Sgt Herbert Thomas Cheetham - Flight Engineer – RAF - buried Plot 6 Row J Grave 10- Age 21
    F/O Thomas Henry Follett – Bomb Aimer- RAF – buried Plot 6 Row K Grave 11- Age 22
    Sgt John Nicholson – Air Bomber – RAF Volunteer Reserve – buried Plot 6 Row J Grave 4 – Age 21
    Sgt Harold Clarkson–Wireless Operator/Air Gunner–RAF Volunteer Reserve–buried Plot 6 Row H Grave 11-
    Sgt Derrick Johnson – Air Gunner – RAF Volunteer Reserve – buried Plot 6 Row K Grave 10 – Age 24
    Sgt Frederick Ralph Thompson – Air Gunner – RAF Volunteer Reserve – buried Plot 6 Row H Grave 10 – Age 20

Going on this raid 22/23 Nov 1942
    Stuttgart
    222 aircraft - 97 Lancasters, 59 Wellingtons, 39 Halifaxes, 27 Stirlings.
    10 aircraft - 5 Lancasters, 3 Wellingtons, 2 Halifaxes - lost, 4.5 per cent of the force.
    A thin layer of cloud and some ground haze concealed Stuttgart and the Pathfinders were not able to identify the centre of the city. Heavy bombing developed to the south-west and south and the outlying residential districts of Vaihingen, Rohr, Mohringen and Plieningen, all about 5 miles from the centre, were hit. 88 houses were destroyed and 334 seriously damaged; 28 people were killed and 71 injured.

Thanks

You should have no problem in obtaining his service record, Geoffrey. You do not say how you are related, but it sounds as though it might be close enough for you to obtain his full service record. Even if that is not the case you can still obtain a record of the units with which he served. For details as to how to proceed go to https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records#how-to-apply-for-service-personnel-records.

Once you've received the record (approximately 20-25 weeks) the forum would be glad to help should you need any assistance in interpreting some of the abbreviations.

Brian

Thanks

i have the Operational records for 102 so can provide details from there should you wish.

Neil

Thanks

Hello Geoffrey,

He was posted from 19 OTU in July, the trips he flew on as far as I can see were:

23/07/42 Duisberg (2nd Pilot)
    01/09/42 Saarbrucken
    04/09/42 Bremen
    06/09/42 Duisburg (Scrubbed)
    08/09/42 Frankfurt
    10/09/42 Dusseldorf
    23/09/42 Flensburg
    26/09/42 Flensburg
    13/10/42 Kiel
    15/10/42 Cologne
    23/10/42 Genoa
    07/11/42 Genoa
    15/11/42 Genoa
    20/11/42 Turin
    22/11/42 Stuttgart

I have a couple of things that could be of interest to you as my grandfather was on the Squadron at that time, please send me a PM with your email address.

Regards

Pete

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyffe View Post
    You should have no problem in obtaining his service record, Geoffrey. You do not say how you are related, but it sounds as though it might be close enough for you to obtain his full service record. Even if that is not the case you can still obtain a record of the units with which he served. For details as to how to proceed go to https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records#how-to-apply-for-service-personnel-records.

Once you've received the record (approximately 20-25 weeks) the forum would be glad to help should you need any assistance in interpreting some of the abbreviations.

Brian
    Brian thanks for the information. I will try and get his record and pay the £30 required. My relationship with P/O Geoffrey King is that he is my Grandfathers elder brother's Grandson (I think that makes him my second cousin). I am new to the forum and everybody seems very helpful.
    Last edited by Researchingreg; 2nd July 2013 at 20:40.

Thanks

Picking up from Pete102's information, the No. 19 OTU ORB is rather thin on crew details and arrivals/departures.

There is only one entry I could find. But it's a good one. The third Thousand Bomber raid, Operation Millenium II, on Bremen, 25/26 June 1942.

Information is verbatim, hence partial service numbers, incorrect initials etc.

Whitley BD247 UO K T/o at 2245 hrs.

P/O GBH King - Captain
    450 Sgt Metcalfe J. - Navigator
    463 Sgt Clarkson H. - W/Op
    012 Sgt Johnson G. - A/G
    P/O JH Follett - A/B

Captain came down to 3,000ft breaking cloud cover over aiming point over which he unloaded. Many scattered fires were reported by him.

As an aside, BD247 would be lost on a training exercise, 4 miles off Aberdeen, 14 September, 1942.

Details of that loss in Chorley Vol 7, page 158

IWM link to photo of kite (seems to be down):

http://m.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205303336

Regards,

Dave
    Last edited by alieneyes; 3rd July 2013 at 11:11. Reason: housekeeping

Thanks

Default 102 Sqn Losses

Dave

Thanks for the information on P/O Geoffrey King's operation on 25/26 June to Bremen (Part of the 1000 bomber raid).
    His Whitley Aircraft number was BD267 UO-K and the link to see details of this operation is www.griffon.clara.net/19/19otu_unit_master.htm

I have spoken to the IWM about the photo (ref HU 107783) of his aircraft and they are sending me a form so I can purchase it. Apparently it has not yet been digitised. When I get the photo they have asked me to contact Alan Wakefield the Photo Curator at IWM with the story of the crew. Some of the crew who flew with him on this operation served as his crew at 102 Sqn.

I have now filled in the form for P/O Geoff King's RAF service record and I will send it off with payment today.

Geoff