Thread: 65 Sqn Spitfire Incident 8 May 1939 Hornchurch Pilot ID's not Aeroplane

Thanks

Default 65 Sqn Spitfire Incident 8 May 1939 Hornchurch Pilot ID's not Aeroplane

If anyone is trying to identify a Spitfire incident on 8th May 1939 at Hornchurch then the pilot was Sgt Patrick Sherlock Hayes #740268

"Tuesday 09 May 1939 , Western Morning News , Devon, England
    After receiving damage to the undercarriage through ripping off the top of a van while descending at Hornchurch (Essex) Aerodrome yesterday, an R.A.F. 'plane flew round for two hours to lighten the petrol load and
    diminish danger in landing on one wheel. The pilot this adventure was Pilot- Sergt. Hayes, of the R.A.F Volunteer Reserve, flying a Spitfire on practice for Air Day. He made a perfect landing"

He was Killed 07/07/1940. Convoy patrol took off 2015 Shot down by Me109 near Folkestone Spitfire Ia N3129

Thanks

Hi Paul,

To complete the entry.

F1180 has aircraft as Spitfire K9910

Hayes is listed as having 3 hours experience on type but 135 hours solo on others.

Choked engine whilst trying to correct undershoot, engine picked up again after hitting van.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross

Thanks for completing the story..

Paul

Thanks

Default Re Patrick Sherlock Hayes

Hello, this is my first posting but I have a huge interest in this particular thread. The pilot involved, Patrick Sherlock Hayes was my uncle. (my mother's brother) Patrick Hayes' hobby was photography and I have a set of photographs in his album of a Spitfire with pre war fuselage markings (FZ-N) being recovered to a Hangar at Hornchurch by means of a wheeled trailer to support one wing. Until last week when my cousin (by pure coincidence) mentioned a newspaper cutting he had about a one wheel landing I had no knowledge of this at all....now the photos make sense. I would happily upload a few photos here if that is possible. The strange thing is, the aircraft in the photos appears undamaged beyond the missing wheel and it's a mystery to me how such an aircraft could be landed on one wheel without causing horrific damage.....even the propellor looks unscathed.

The other thing I would like to ask please is what actually prompted this thread and where does all this knowledge come from? I have been researching my uncle's all too brief RAF career for years and I thought there was nothing new to learn, so happening across this is little short of incredible to me.

I would hugely appreciate anything you can tell me............Regards Michael Taylor.

Thanks

Micheal

I read the story in a newspaper archive online and thought it might interest people here... I found it originally by accident when looking for something else

You can't put photos here, but you can put them on a hosting site such as flickr and link to them. I am sure they would interest people here, as would any log book entries

You have just confirmed Spitfire K9910 was 'FZ-N' which may or may not be known - The 'N' would be about right IFAIK for 'B Flight'

I am not a pilot, but a one wheel landing is possible if you are careful and you can minimise damage. Some where on the net who will find reference to one wheel B-17 landing for the film Twelve O'clock High IIRC ..

Paul
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 23rd July 2013 at 18:19.