Thread: Battle Incidents (Non Write Off) 266 Sqn 1939 X2

Thanks

Default Battle Incidents (Non Write Off) 266 Sqn 1939 X2

I have found that the pre-war 266 Sqn ORB is not available at the National Archives (well I can't find it)

Anyway, as you all know I have been looking at pre-war RAF bale-outs I now can confirm two incidents in 1939 to 266 Sqn but not all the detail. I am hoping that someone can fill in the detail. maybe Pilot, Serial and in one case date

Incident 1

March 6, 1939 Battle of 226 Sqn (Harwell) developed Engine Trouble, pilot order crew to bale out, while attempting to force land in a field at Bradfield, Yorkshire, however engine picked and successfully landed the aircraft at Doncaster aerodrome. Pilot and serial unknown to me but the crew who bailed out at Bradfield were Flight-Sergeant Frederick John Percival #562846 and Aircraftman James Allan #567235

Incident 2

Possibly May/June/July 1939 Battle of 226 Sqn (Harwell) caught fire in air, pilot ordered crew to bale out, and the pilot landed the aircrafts safely at Farnborough RAF station. Again pilot and serial unknown to me but the crew who bailed out at Fleet, Hampshire were Sgt Charles Stuart Hart#580370 and the now LAC James Allan #567235

LAC James Allan was the fourth 'pre war' double bale-out in the RAF and only non officer in this list

Flight-Sergeant Frederick John Percival was killed in the Battle Of France while with 266 Sqn, Sgt Charles Stuart Hart was PoW while with 266 Sqn in the Battle Of France and LAC James Allan while serving in 266 Sqn in Battle of France survived the war

Many Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Hello Paul

If there is no Squadron ORB covering the dates, I presume you have tried Station ORBs, sometimes they record flights based at the Station, and other Stations might record aircraft landing (from elsewhere)?

AIR 28/343 RAF Station Harwell, 01 March 1937 - 31 December 1945
    AIR 28/265 RAF Station Farnborough, 01 April 1933 - 31 December 1945

It is a long shot, but you might be lucky, I have even found references to aircraft landing from elsewhere in Flight/ Unit ORBs in AIR 29 based at particular Stations.

You say Non write off, but as you probably know, a forced RAF parachute descent had to be reported to the AIB and I would have thought the parent Station where they were based would have recorded something about the Aircraft/Pilot.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 5th July 2013 at 19:30.

Thanks

Incident 2 date now confirmed as June 6, 1939

Incident 1 - Pilot 'Robertson' but Just ID' him: P/O Noel John Robertson #39758
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 12th September 2013 at 13:47.

Thanks

Paul,

The first incident was reported in The Times on 7 March. According to this the aircraft was en route from Didcot to Durham. After the two men had jumped the aircraft continued to lose height. "When the aeroplane got very near the ground the engine picked up and the machine gained height. The pilot, named Robertson, continued his flight and landed at Doncaster. After the engine had been seen to he continued his journey to Durham." The two crew were treated for shock at Sheffield Royal Infirmary, but not detained.

Brian

Thanks

Brian

Ahhh! I didn't think to check the Times - would have found pilot much earlier

Thanks

Paul