Thread: 25 Squadron personnel 1940

Thanks

Default 25 Squadron personnel 1940

Dear all,

I am looking for the first names and any other information you may have on the following airmen that served with 25 squadron in 1940.

A/C Connolly
    A/C Higginbottom

I suspect that they may have been radar operators.

I would really appreciate any info that you could give me.

Gerry

Thanks

Hallo Gerry,

I have not checked the online 25 Sqn. ORB, presuming you have. Instead I have just gone through the Appendices for 1915-1940 in AIR 27/308. However they only contain narratives from WW1 and copies of Form 765As for most of 1940. No names at all for 1940.
    Were the two men you seek with the unit in late 1940 by any chance ? Maybe the Appendices for 1941 might be a better bet - if they exist.

As an alternative maybe the station ORBs or Appendices could help ? Unfortunately 25 Squadron occupied four in the second half of 1940; Martlesham Heath, North Weald, Debden and Wittering. If one could obtain their initials or better still their service number then the AIR 78 files could reveal their first names.

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

Cheers Martin,
    I am convinced that these airmen flew operationally in the Battle of Britain, probably as radar operators.
    I just need their first names / initials to help my research. A visit to the PRO is required!
    Thanks for the info that you have provided.
    The squadrons ORB does mention them later in the year so I know they were there in November 40.

Gerry

Thanks

Neither man is mentioned in Wynn's Men of the Battle of Britain in the back page roll for No.25 Sqn.

This is despite a large number of the ACs being listed suggesting that they were not operational during the BoB clasp period.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.