Thread: George Albert Campfield Potts

Thanks

Default George Albert Campfield Potts

I have what's in the London Gazette fir this man from:
    21.06.1940 590631 Sgt George Albert Campfield Potts 43943 commissioned as Plt Off for duration of the hostilities
    to: 07.08.1948 George Albert Campfield Potts DFC 43943 to Wing Commander permanent
    Can anyone please provide any further details of his time in the RAF?

Thanks

POTTS, George Albert Campfield, P/O (43943, Royal Air Force) - No.50 Squadron - Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 22 October 1940. No published citation. The following text was found in Public Record Office Air 2/9489. The same document almost certainly carries a more detailed document with earlier (and more detailed) text from the original recommendation.

"This officer has consistently displayed great courage and devotion to duty on all raids in which he has taken part. On the night of 28th August, while over Berlin, he took advantage of the preoccupation of the ground defences with other aircraft to glide down and successfully attack his primary target at less than 5,000 feet, causing one large building to burst into flames. Then when all the ground defences were drawn on to his aircraft he eluded them skilfully and returned, having carried out observations as well as his attack. Two nights previously he had carried out a successful forced landing on the sea while returning from Berlin."

POTTS, George Albert Campfield, A/S/L, DFC (43943, Royal Air Force) - No.50 Squadron - Bar to Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 24 October 1941. Public Record Office Air 2/8904 has citation drafted when he had flown 49 sorties (290 operational hours).

"This officer commenced his second tour of operational flying in May 1941, and has since carried out 14 sorties, involving some 90 hours flying. On the night preceding the sinking of the Bismark, Squadron Leader Potts was the captain of an aircraft detailed to release a mine in the entrance of Brest harbour. Extremely adverse weather conditions prevailed (the cloud base was 1,500 feet) and considerable difficulty was encountered in locating the target area. On nearing the position, enemy searchlights illuminated the whole area and Squadron Leader Potts; aircraft was struck by shell fire from a flak ship. The navigator was wounded in the foot and, owing to the pain and severe bleeding, was rendered semi-conscious. In spite of these difficulties, Squadron Leader Potts continued to the target position where he successfully released the mine by means of a jettison bar. On another occasion, after successfully attacking a target at Bremen, Squadron Leader Potts skilfully flew his aircraft to one of our aerodromes after one engine had failed soon after commencing the return journey. This officer has consistently displayed great leadership and courage."

Thanks

Hello,

Prior to his service with No.50 Squadron, P/O Potts served on No.106 squadron. On the 6th July, 1940, during night flying practice, Potts overshot Finningley airfield in Hampden I L4181. His aircraft crashed through tented accommodation, killing three airmen* and injuring two others. No one aboard the Hampden was hurt.

See: BCL1/85
    620895 AC2 Matthew COOK RAF +
    573507 AC2 Patrick Joseph CURRY RAF +
    649099 AC2 Granville John HIGGS RAF +
    All of No.106 Sqn.

Garbled account here:

http://www.rafcommands.com/dcforum/DCForumID6/Data/17433.txt

For details of his ditching on 25/26-8-1940, see: BCL1/103.

also...

Mentioned in Despatches - A/S/L. - King's Birthday Honour List - LG: 2/6/1943. p.2456.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/36033/supplements/2456

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 8th July 2013 at 02:27.

Thanks

Re: garbled accounts (from the old forum)

http://www.opinionatedgeek.com/DotNet/Tools/UrlEncode/Decode.aspx

Highlight garbled , copy and paste into box, and click decode.

I don't recall if Dennis Burke told me about this in an email or posted the link in here before. But it's a keeper.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

That garble decoder is a good find.

David

Thanks

Can anyone tell me any more about the ditching?