Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F/Lt or Sqn/L Angus Buchanan Flight Engineer Bomber Command

Thanks

Default F/Lt or Sqn/L Angus Buchanan Flight Engineer Bomber Command

I would like to find out about Angus Buchanan who was a Flight Engineer in Bomber Command. But he must have completed at least one tour. I do not know which Squadron. He was born in Kirkwall Orkney on 18 October 1910 and died in Nairobi on 29 June 1910. Two of his younger brothers were pilots Frederick Buchanan born 22 1916 Kirkwall died Feb 3 1943 Hamburg Germany and Thomas Buchanan born 14 April 1914 Kirkwall died 23 June 1968 Shapinsey. Thomas I believe rose to a high rank in the RAF.

How do I go about finding info on Angus Buchanan's RAF Career in WW2

Thanks

Default F/Lt or Sqn/L Angus Buchanan

I have now found out that one of his younger brothers Frederick Buchanan who died at Hamburg on 3 Feb 1943 was Flying Officer 108149 RAF Volunteer Reserve with 78 Sqn and is buried at Sage War Cemetery Grave 10.D.7. Does this help me find Angus?

Thanks

Not really. As you likely noted when you went to his entry on the cwgc site there is no next of kin information,nor hometown.

As you had two Canadians aboard W7938, you might like to apply for their service records at the LAC in Ottawa. In many of the files are copies of telegrams sent from the squadron to the Air Ministry, Kingsway the day after an aircraft failed to return. Amongst other things listed those telegrams have the names and addresses of all next of kin of all aboard.

Using this I have been able to find many families of killed RAF airmen.

Your two Canadians: Navigator F/sgt HW Laughlan and R/Gunner Sgt AF Macdonald

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/war-dead/001056-100.01-e.php?PHPSESSID=ks6rta5nl0v6f1smpbflsfn5h5 and follow directions.

You will want to ask the LAC for "documents pertaining to the crash of this aircraft". They do provide 25 pages free. Failing to stress what you want might lead to you otherwise you ending up with all sorts of dental records, chest xrays, urine exam results and the like.

It does take a few months. If you don't want to wait a hired researcher who several of us use in Ottawa will look it for you for a very reasonable rate. He's a member of this board so you can PM and someone will provide his name.

Or you hope one the site's genealogical experts comes along and looks up next of kin through ancestrydotcom or the like.

Regards,

Dave
    Last edited by alieneyes; 8th July 2013 at 08:42.

Thanks

Default Research

You can request a copy of his service record but it will cost you to get it and it does take some time. You need to go to www.veterans-uk.info and look up service records.
    You might be able to find out more from London Gazette and Flight Global but it can be tortuous. It will at least if you find him give you his service number. If he completed a tour he may or may not have been awarded a DFC/DFM depending on what rank he was at that point.
    Dee :)

Thanks

Default Ft/l or Sqn/L Angus Buchanan

Alieneyes.

Thanks for the information re: the Canadian crew members of his his Brother (Frederick Buchanan's) crew. However even as his older brother, Angus would not be next of kin, it would be his Father Frederick Buchanan born 1 April 1880 died 26 December 1962 and Mother Jessie Anne Cameron (nee McDonald) born 14 October 1880 died I June 1966.
    I could try and see if they both served in the same Sqn but I think this is unlikely.

Thanks

Default F/Lt or Sqn/L Angus Buchanan

I have now found out more about his other brother Thomas MacDonald Buchanan 33159 through the London Gazette - He was promoted from cadet to P/O on 27 July 1935 then to F/O on 27 Jan 1937, then to Sqn/L 20 Sept 1940.

But I have not found Angus in the London Gazette.

Thanks

Geoff,

You will have to forgive me. I was under the impression you were looking for his next of kin (which you seem to have here) as that would allow you to look for living descendents today. Those relatives may hold flying logs, memorabilia, gongs, or in one case I was fortunate enough to be involved in an 80 page, unpublished manuscript of the man's flying career and life, post war which they were happy to send me a copy of.

A lot of what is done on this forum is contact with the offspring of those men we are researching. Google picks up names and most on here at one time or another have had a post replied to with "I was googling my uncle/cousin/brother etc who was killed in the war and came across your post"

I was not suggesting in any way that the brothers Buchanan were both on 78 Sqn where Frederick was killed. If you, however were to do a search through this forum's massive archives, (using Google as the search option does not function) you will indeed see cases of brothers on the same squadron, in one case (the Tod twins, 75 Sqn 22/23 June 1943) on the same crew and both killed when said crew was lost on ops to Mülheim.

So, never rule anything out as not possible.

Again, pardon the confusion re the next of kin of Buchanan.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Default The right Buchanan?

Dont know if this is the right Buchanan but I found this one after going through the London Gazette and all the other Buchanan's:
    A W Buchanan 115696
    Made PO Mar 42
    Made FO Dec 42
    Allowed to retain rank of Flt Lt 1954
    Dee

Thanks

Default F/Lt Angus Buchanan

In reply to Alieneyes post. I am pretty near to being a close relative.
    Angus was my mothers partner for a while and about 20 Years ago I remember seeing his F/Lt uniform with the AE half wing flight badge in a cupboard in my mothers house. As a child in the 1950's I seem to remember that he said that he was a Sqn/L but I might have got that wrong. My mother drove him when he was in the RAF and I was under the impression that he was inspecting airfields, when not on flying duties - He was a civil engineer before and after the war.

Thanks

Dee,
    Thought you might have something there, but Angus Buchanan, born Kirkwall, Orkney, 18th Oct 1910, did not have a 2nd initial, just Angus.