Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maintenance Unit 113 RAF

Innisfail, Far North Queensland, Australia
    Thanks

Default Maintenance Unit 113 RAF

I am trying to trace my late Father's (LAC Fred Mayne) service history. I know he served with MU 113 in Brindisi and North Africa, his earlier service being at Cardington et al. In his unit was Albert/Alfred Chichinski (sic), better known later as Alfred Marks the comedian/actor/singer. Any info would be gratefully appreciated. Derek Mayne.

Thanks

May I offer you the same advice I give to everybody who asks a similar question to yours.

Get the Record of Service. This will probably be a manuscript document but it will contain everything of worth about the subject. Promotions, courses, medals, postings. I then suggest that you get a sheet of A3 paper and build the record in chronological sequence against a series of columns - say - ranks, postings, courses. You can then more easily work through what your father did and when. This then informs any further enquiries you want to make.

Good luck, it's very worthwhile and you will get great satisfaction plus many frustrations!!!!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hi DEREK MAYNE (Delmo)
    I too am also looking for my deceased father in laws records, he also was in 113 maintenance unit In Brindidi in the later part of ww11 and also North Africa same as you. Certainly is a small world! His name was HERBERT EDWARD ELLIS LAC and was also in 10 Squadron before being with 113 m.u. in Brindisi. I am supposing your father was also in 148 squadron (at Brindisi) where 148 squadron was a "special duties squadron" attached to the "Balkan Airforce" I also know that H.E.Ellis (bert) was attached to the SOE and did a number of parachute jumps into Yugoslavia and was fighting with the Partisans over there.
    Does your father also do anything similar to this in his time at Brindisi???
    Please reply Derek and let me know where you are upto with your search. I have also sent for Bert's service record from Cranwell air station in UK but not received anything back as yet, believe it can take up to 5 months for them to be done.!!
    Up to now have not been able to find anything with his name on it.
    I believe there was a magazine of 113 m.u. with lots of photos of Brindisi in it was on sold on "ebay"
    Have a look around your Australian end and see if you can find any similar magazine, would not mind a copy if one is around!
    Am awaiting for a quote from "The National Archives". in LONDON UK to see some old documents takes about 10 days for a quote and a further fortnight to copy
    if you want them. I will keep my eyes open for you when reading any archives at all with your fathers name on it and would be pleased if you could also do the same for me. Looking forward to your reply Derek.
    If anyone else is reading this and comes across this name H.E.Ellis in their researchings i would be very grateful to here from you. Than you.
    Best regards john hudson (john335)

Thanks

Hello John, my apologies for the late reply but I lost everything when my computer crashed in a big way. Since then also there have been a lot of other time consuming issues. However, I'm back in the chair and resuming my searches. I was very interested to read about your father-in-law and his exploits. As you say, certainly is a small world. As for my father's RAF history I don't really know much. He was always pretty tight lipped about his service days (apart from humourous anecdotes) and he passed in 1972 when he was only 51 so we never had the later father/son times when I might have gained more info. I also saw the article on eBay about 113 m.u. - haven't seen anything lately tho'. Will keep looking and let you know if I find anything of interest. Regards - Derek Mayne

Thanks

Hi there, was wondering - did you get your father's records, Derek? My late uncle Don Atkins was a 148 Sqdn pilot and although, as Olduffer says, interpreting service records can be a little challenging they're a great source of information if you have little else to go on! Getting them isn't a fast process but it seemed fairly straightforward and I found the RAF were helpful when I applied for Don's a year or so ago.

I'd be interested to learn more about MU 113 as well as your father's wartime service and I'm sure many others would too. I have 148 Sqdn ORBs for the period September 1944 to May 1945 and will happily do a look-up for you should you think it helpful at any point, just let me know. Very largely records of the flying component of the squadron, but you never know.

Cheers, Pat

(More info here if you haven't applied: https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military...-elses-records)

Thanks

Hi Pat, I hadn't chased up any records following my first post as I ended up with no computer for quite some time after the 'major' crash so I hadn't received oldduffer's or john335's responses. I am now in the process of resuming my searches and will post any results I obtain. Thanks for the link.

Cheers

Derek

Thanks

Delmo et al,
    Just a small point, but most units in the wartime (and prewar as well as postwar) RAF that are differentiated from dozens, if not hundreds of other such similarly named units, are identified by a number which normally appears BEFORE the descriptive part of the unit name. Thus if you are trying to look for it per Mr Google, spell it as 113 MU rather than MU 113 (although clever Mr Google might well locate it anyway!)
    David D

Thanks

Good point, thanks for the reminder David!

On the subject of Operations Record Books, the ORB for 113 M.U. hasn't been digitised but is available to view at The National Archives it seems. Its reference is AIR 29/1042

Cheers, Pat

Thanks

Hello to DELMO (Derek MAYNE)
    Glad to hear your PC is now ok and up and running. Apologies for not being on this forum for a while myself because I gave up my search as I found nothing for H.E.Ellis in 148 squadron. However I did get a copy of the CD disc for 113 MU and found it very interesting.
    I did find your fathers name in there on 2 or 3 occassions,I emailed you but did not know your PC had given up the ghost!!
    I will dig the disk out and have another look to re-familiarise my self with your dads details from 113 MU and will contact you again shortly. best regards john

Thanks

Hello Delmo (Derek Mayne)
    Have dug out the cd disk with info on it about your dads name FRED so please email me and I will forward the details to you.
    Cheers regards john335