Thread: FS Stanley C Smith Air Gunner 701563

Thanks

Default FS Stanley C Smith Air Gunner 701563

I wonder if forum members can help me find out more about this person. My Sgt has just bought his medals and a picture but can't find out any more about him. He has done a search and I can't find any threads on here.
    All information gratefully received.
    Dee

Thanks

Hi,

Service number block 701000-702935 RAFVR !

Men born after June 1918 who were conscripted before WW2 into the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve for six months full time service. Joining the RAF in July/August 1939 for ground crew duties.

Part of Neville Chamberlain pre war conscription. Most men called up ended up in the army (Militiamen). Many were not keen to join the Army and tried to join the RAF.

Of this group over 94 died during WW2. A large group of these men were sent to Java in 1942 and became POWs of the Japanese !

Flight 27/7/39

The first batch of miltiamen was received by the RAF on 17 July . During the first two months of the calling up the RAF will have a quota of 2,000, to be received at the rate of 125 a day on four days of the week. The first batch was received at West Drayton to collect their kit before departing to their allotted stations.

The first batches are comprised of ground personnel; men for the air sections will not be called up until later in the year. The miltiamen will be supernumerary to the squadron strengths ( each will receive about 100) but they will be treated as ordinary members of the units.

I believe men called up for the Militia had some choice as to which service they joined. Although I think the RAF were sort of skilled men, and were looking for trained cooks, clerks, drivers etc.

Many served in France in 1940

Gallantry awards (known) 1 D.F.C, 3 D.F.M, 1 A.F.M, 1 B.E.M
    10 P.O.W Germany, 27 P.O.W Japan ( 11 Died)

On the medals front if your man served throughout WW2 should be entitled to the Air Efficiency Award !

Mark

Thanks

Default Thank you

Thanks Mark. Will pass that on. He may have some other questions :)
    Dee

Thanks

Default F/Sgt.S.C.Smith

Hello there,
    Sgt.Smith was posted in to 100 Squadron as an air gunner in the crew of Sgt.Arthur Dawson on 17/2/44 from 1667 C.U..Dawson and crew,without Sgt.Smith, went missing on their third sortie on 15-16/3/44 to Stuttgart.Sgt.Smith then flew the balance of his tour mostly as A/G on the crew of Sgt.,later P/O.,Jack Littlewood. He flew 28 or 29 sorties-the record is not entirely clear,before being posted to A.C.A.C. Brackla on 21/8/44.
    Hope this is of interest,
    Regards,Mark Simpson.
    Last edited by MSIMPSON; 12th July 2013 at 18:08.

Thanks

Default 100 Sqn Smith

Brilliant. Have forwarded the email I got with the info to my Sgt. I am not in for the next weekk. He will be really pleased with the info :)