Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF Signals Station - High Dyke, near Grantham

Thanks

Default RAF Signals Station - High Dyke, near Grantham

Saw the remains of a former RAF signals station on the High Dyke road near Grantham, Lincolnshire, for the first time today.
    Can't find any reference to its name - does anyone know the identity of this former signals site?

Thanks

Would it have been part of RAF Spittlegate? Which was across the road. It is reputed to be the receiving station for the post dams raid signals for onward transmission to St Vincent's House.
    Alan

Thanks

Hello Alan,
    Itís certainly possible it could have been part of Spitalgate, though it is a fair distance down the road. Even so, I guess it must have its own identity in some way, even if that is just a building numberÖ? I have never found the buildings on any airfield map, but maybe someone on here has better local knowledge.
    I had heard the story about it being the initial receiving point for the dams raid signals, so Iím surprised there seems to be so little written about it.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Thanks

Might it also have been a D/F Station? In which case its distance from "degree-bending ironmongery" might have been understandable?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Possibly Peter, sounds reasonable, but I know very little about the place.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Thanks

Could it be associated with Barkston Heath?
    Researching my father's time with 50 Squadron, 97 Squadron, Dulug Luft, Stalag Luft VI, Stalag 357 and Stalag Luft III.

http://wallyswar.wordpress.com/

Thanks

Perhaps, though it is closer to Spitalgate than Barkston Heath.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Thanks

Is it possible to post a national grid reference or a map extract showing the location of the site? It's possible (and a slim possibility) I might be able to identify the purpose of the site if I know where it is and what the remains look like. However, I have no idea where this site is, I'm afraid.

Thanks

Local knowledge also says the High Dyke signal station was used as a relay post for Dams raid signals between Scampton and St Vincents (Grantham) and in all probability used all the time that St Vincents was linked to Bomber Command. As an approximation the signal station is on the same ASL as Waddington/Scampton but Grantham is set in a depression well below their level with St Vincents nestled at the foot of Somerby hill, hence the need for a relay post.
    Its construction was a simple single storey brick building, and the last time I saw it, in very poor shape.

Ian

Thanks

Hello Ian (x2)
    I don’t know how to post a copy of a map but what is left of the building is about 750m north of the junction between Harrowby Lane and the B6403/High Dyke road. From just outside Grantham the High Dyke road doesn’t run south/north but more like southwest to northeast. If you are travelling to the northeast (away from Grantham) the remains of the building are on your right-hand side and visible from the road through the trees and bushes. The first 15ft or so of a former road entrance from the B6403 to the former signals station still exists, but it disappears at the tree line.
    The wrecked building can be seen quite well on Google maps. If you type in “High Dyke Grantham map” it will display the letter ‘A’ at a location on the High Dyke road. Looking to the right-hand side of that letter A, moving upwards, count the roadside fields and you will see what is left of the building inside the third field. If you reach High Road on the left-hand side, you have gone too far.
    Hope that helps…
    Regards,
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Allett; 18th July 2013 at 22:26.