Thread: Magister P6413, 7 FIS, crashed near Chirton on 19/10/42, information please.

Thanks

Default Magister P6413, 7 FIS, crashed near Chirton on 19/10/42, information please.

Miles Magister Mk I P6413 crashed after stalling in a steep turn.

NZ 415709 P/O William Edward Nilsson RNZAF was killed in the accident and is buried in Upavon Cemetery, Row C., Grave 6.

Can anyone tell me please in what capacity was William Nilsson at 7 Flying Instructors School ? Was he there as a trainee instructor or was he instructing ?

Was he flying alone or was there someone else in the plane too ?

Any information gratefully received.
    TIA.

Thanks

Nillsen was Captain, also P/O P R C Mars.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2710483/MARS,%20PETER%20RICHARD%20CAMPBELL

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Judging by his postings, Nillson would have entered the FIS as a trainee:

Arrived UK/3PRC 29 Jun 42, 6(P)AFU 21 Jul 42 [att 1523BATF 23-c.29 Aug], 7FIS (Magister) 2 Sep 42.

What is you particular interest in Nillson, may I ask?

Errol

Thanks

Quoting from "Wings over Wiltshire" by Rod Priddle

"P/O William E Nilsson, RNZAF, and P/O Peter R C Mars, RAFVR, two pupil instuctors with No 7 FIS (A) were involved in a fatal flying accident on 19 October 1942. Thay landed first in a field at Chirton four and a half miles north west of Upavon, their Magister P6413 was seen to take off again but before gaining height it smashed into a tree in another field on the edge of the village. The two men were released from the wreckage by villagers and carried to a nearby cottage, but it was some time before an ambulance arrived from Upavon, by which time P/O Nilsson had died.

P/O Mars was taken to Devizes Hospital where he died eight hours later. Both men are buried at Upavon cemetry. William Nilsson had joined the RNZAF in October 1941, carried out his flying training and commissioned as a P/O in New Zealand, before arriving in England on 28 June 1942. He was at No 3 Personnel Resception Centre, Bournemouth, until posted to No 6 (P) AFU Little Rissington. Whilst there he attended an instrument flying course with No 1523 Beam Approach Training Flight, before proceeding to Upavon on 2nd September."

As an aside the accident happened close to where Rod now lives; Devizes hospital has closed, suffering the fate of so many such establishments in the name of progress. No 7 FIS had formed at Upavon on 17 April 1942, and I think this might have been the unit's first fatal accident.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 20th July 2013 at 09:35. Reason: Spelling

Thanks

Thank you all for the replies.

I wonder if the off-airfield landing was authorised.

I have a hunch that the two trainees were flying on a role playing exercise in which each would a take a turn to be the instructor, judging the performance of the pupil, and practicing the prescribed "patter".
    Instead of landing back at Upavon in order to swap cockpits they decided to put down in the field.

Errol, no family connection to William Nilsson or any thing like that. Simply my interest in WW II flying accidents, and in particular those involving RAF and Commonwealth airmen.