Thread: Ferry route of Hudson, Portwreath-Karachi, April 1942

Thanks

Default Ferry route of Hudson, Portwreath-Karachi, April 1942

I am researching a Danish RCAF Navigator. From 1 to 20 April 1942 he participates in ferrying a Hudson III from RAF Portwreath to Karachi, India where he joins 139 Sqn/62 Sqn (service record ambiguous) during the very hectic days of the fall of Burma. A few days later he is navigator on the aircraft that evacuates the Governor of Burma from Myitkina to Calcutta.

But ... to my question ... what is the likely route of such an aircraft? Over the Bay of Biscay to North Africa/Morocco, to Egypt, to Iraq, to India, or?

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Hi Mikkel,

In April, 1942 North African countries like Morocco and Algeria would be unavailable to Allied planes as they were controlled by Vichy France.

I think the route would have been Portreath to Gibraltar to Malta to Egypt and so on from there.

Thanks

Thank you. Of course they could not use the Vichy controlled areas. My fault... Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

"In March and April 1942 more bombs fell on Malta than in the London during the 1940 Blitz.".
    So that probably rules out Malta? The route might have been round the hump of W Africa, then across equatorial Africa to the Sudan, etc, etc.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 20th July 2013 at 09:19. Reason: Syntax
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thank you Peter!

I have another Dane involved in ferry command. He delivers a Hudson in Sep 42 (from Canada via Ascension Island to Accra, Gold Coast (now Ghana), then to Kano (Nigeria) and across Africa to Khartoum.

The question is wether an aircraft from Gibraltar flew part of this route. With a range of appr. 3,000 km a leg from Gibraltar to Kano seems unlikely as it would at the extreme range of the aircraft. But if it got to Kano it could have proceeded via Khartoum (and another place) to Karachi.

The crew was trained at 1444 (Ferry Training) Flight and I guess they have had certain routes for their flights.

Mikkel

Thanks

I'd go along with Peter, Mikkel.

The probable route would have been Portreath - Gibraltar - Bathurst - Accra - Kano - Maiduguri - El Geneina - El Fasher - Khartoum - Aden - Karachi. The indivudual distances between Kano - Maiduguri - El Geneina - El Fasher - Khatoum are relatively short, and it may be that one or more airfields were did not figure in the itinerary.

Brian

Thanks

Thank you Brian as weel. This corresponds well with a flying time of 45 hrs. at a cruising speed around 300 km/h. Quite a distance to fly...

Mikkel
    Last edited by Mikkel Plannthin; 20th July 2013 at 10:21.