Thread: 266 Sqn - P/O Wilkie

Thanks

Default 266 Sqn - P/O Wilkie

Hi,

Would anyone have any details of the operations P/O James Leon Wilkie 42170, flew while with 266 Sqn? I have been put in touch with one of his relatives and I'm trying to piece together P/O Wilkies movements before he was posted to 263 Sqn.

Normally I would order the ORB from the NA but I'm meeting his relative next weekend so don't have the time. Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Alex

Thanks

Alex,

This may help?

From my 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume Three: Biographies & Appendices)'
    WILKIE, Pilot Officer James Leon.
    42170; b Perth, Western Australia 1 Nov 19; to NZ 'at an early age'; Gisborne HS & St Patrick's Coll, Wgtn; farm hand – Fox Estate, Mangaweka. Selected for RAF SSComm, emb for UK 3 Feb 39, arr 15 Mar 39; RAF & to Perth/11E&RFTS as Pilot u/t 16 Mar 39, SSComm [wef 16.3.39] & 1 Depôt 13 May 39, 9FTS [redesignated 9SFTS 3.9.39] 26 May 39, Pilots Badge, 266 Sqn (Battle, Spitfire; 5+ ops) 6 Nov 39, 10MU [for Gladiator conv?] 26 Apr 40, 263 Sqn (Gladiator - ? ops) 4 May 40, emb with Sqn pilots on fleet carrier HMS Furious for Norway c.12 May 40, kao 2 Jun 40. Narvik New Cemetery - XI.K.7, Norway (previously Runnymede Memorial, Panel 10). Son of Leonard Raymond & Clare Percival Wilkie (née Campion); stepson of Antoni Mark Georgetti, Wharekai, Okirae Stn, Fordell.

You can download squadron ORBs from TNA online for a fee.

In a late 1940s RNZAF summary of his career based on his log book and service record he is recorded as having flown 5 ops with 266 Sqn while based ad Sutton Bridge. During the squadron's later moves he flew 'further' ops. The next of kin destination for his log book after the RNZAF had compiled its account was: Mrs C. P. Georgetti (mother), 'Wharekai', C/- Okirae station, Fordell, Wanganui.' It may still survive?

Errol

Thanks

Hi Errol,

Many thanks. I have Vol 1 and 3 of For Your Tomorrow, which is an excellent piece of work. Found the files in the NA and downloaded the summary of events form Oct 39-April 40. Also the record of events for April 1940. Can't seem to find any Record of events for Jan-March 1940.

Wilkie flew one operation in April so I assume he flew the others earlier in the year. Would like to get as much info as I can before I meet his relative.

Regards,

Alex