Thread: Meteor flight over Grantham, July 1952

Thanks

Default Meteor flight over Grantham, July 1952

On July 10, 1952 RAF Spittlegate received the freedom of the borough of Grantham, on or near this date a formation of 28 Meteor jet fighters flew in formation (7 groups of four) over the base and Grantham town to mark this event.

Does anyone know the unit(s) providing these aircraft ?

Many thanks,

Ian

Thanks

Default Flight International

Hi Ian,
    Have you checked the Flight International site, could be worth a try on the Service Page.
    Roy

Thanks

Thanks Roy, will take a butchers.

Regards,

Ian

Thanks

From Flight Global,

Freedom of Grantham
    THE ceremony of conferring on R.A.F. Station, Spitalgate, the freedom of the Borough of Grantham (Lincs.) which carries the privilege, honour and distinction of marching through the streets of the borough with colours flying, took place on July 10th.
    The "freedom of entry" was formally presented to the station commander, G/C. S. S. Murray, O.B.E., by the Mayor, Councilor S Foster, M.B.E., J.P. The R.A.F. Central Band was in attendance, and, as the parade presented arms in the general salute, jet aircraft flew from north to south down the length ofthe town. Finally, the parade exercised its’ newly conferred right by marching through the main streets of the town bearing the Queen's Colour of the R.A.F. in the United Kingdom.

Sadly no mention of which unit the Meteors came from, poss CFS anybody ?

Ian

Thanks

I was a boy of eight living in Grantham and remember this. Perhaps the Grantham Journal has coverage.
    Researching my father's time with 50 Squadron, 97 Squadron, Dulug Luft, Stalag Luft VI, Stalag 357 and Stalag Luft III.

http://wallyswar.wordpress.com/

Thanks

Hello David,

Many thanks for pointing me to the GJ, their archive is available at the library but I have not had chance to look it out yet, but will potter down one dinner time.

I have a very poor image of the flypast from the Lincstothepast archive and this is atributed to good old Walter Lee. They have a second image taken from the ground also by Walter, but suspect this taken by someone else appointed by WL as he could not be in the air and on the ground at the same time !

Best regards,

Ian

Thanks

David,

The opportunity to check out the GJ came sooner than expected, but although a full write up - front page news no less, no detail of who provided the Meteors.

Regards,

Ian

Thanks

How frustrating for you. I remember Walter Lee, he was a friend of the family. I don't recall such pictures in Bygone Grantham.
    Researching my father's time with 50 Squadron, 97 Squadron, Dulug Luft, Stalag Luft VI, Stalag 357 and Stalag Luft III.

http://wallyswar.wordpress.com/