Thread: John Francis Cartwright 1652859 - forum help please

Thanks

Default John Francis Cartwright 1652859 - forum help please

I wonder if any forum members can help me. A friend of a friend has asked me if I can look into the service of John Francis Cartwright 1652859. I have been provided with quite a bit of information as a start point but would be interested to find out if he was a pilot or a navigator as this is uncertain.

Also what if any planes would he have been flying in and doing what ?

Any help would be much appreciated. I have listed the information I have been given and wonder if any forum members can help me with any other information.

Thanks in advance
    Kind Regards
    Brett

John Francis ('Gus') Cartwright

Flt. Sgt / Warrant Officer

Service: 29.8.42 - 12.10.46

RAF Volunteer Reserve 1942

'D' Flight, 4 Squadron, Cambridge

It appears that he was in the following places:

March 1944

Royal Canadian Air Force: Air Navigation School (31 ANS)

April 1945

No 8 OTU Haverfordwest

June-November 1945

No 132 OTU East Fortune (Coastal Command?)

January 1946

No 1 Ferry Unit Pershore

February 1946

Transport Command, Cairo

July 1946

Klagenfurt

Thanks

31 ANS was located at Port Albert, Ontario, on the eastern shore of Lake Huron. It mostly used Ansons throughout its lifespan, and in March 1944 probably had a mix of UK built Mk. I and Canadian built Mk. V Ansons.

After reviewing the original post, if he was at 31 ANS from March 1944 to April 1945 (13 months) that seems like a long posting for a student at an ANS. However, given an enlistment date of August 1942, it is possible that he had completed pilot training by March 1944 and then served as a staff pilot at the School. It is also possible that he completed student training at 31 ANS as a navigator, and then spent several months in a holding unit (such as a Manning Depot or one of the "finishing schools") before assignment to the next training step. That was becoming common that late in the war, as BCATP output exceeded the needs of the operational units.
    Last edited by Bill Walker; 23rd July 2013 at 02:11. Reason: last para. refined

Thanks

Thank you Bill, much appreciated

Regards
    Brett

Thanks

Hi Brett,

some more bits and pieces:

No. 8 (Coastal) OTU was in early 1945 equipped by Spitfires and Mosquitoes, in June 45 Mosquito Fighter Section was taken over by 132 (C)OTU (disbanded 15.5.1946).

Source: Sturtivant Ray, Hamlin John RAF Flying Training and Support Units since 1912 Air-Britain Tonbridge 2007

As for RAF units stationed at Kagenfurt you can chek http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Cold-war/Austria.html.

HTH

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz