Thread: Hon. Air Commodore Albert Edward Marsden

Thanks

Default Hon. Air Commodore Albert Edward Marsden

Can anyone here help to piece together the history of Hon. Air Commodore Albert Edward Marsden please? So far Errol Martyn and I have found the following details.

He was born in Christchurch, New Zealand in 1888, and in 1913 he travelled to London to receive the Queen Victoria Medal as a prize for some cabinets he had exhibited at the Crystal Palace, London. He decided to stay on in London and signed up to a carpentry course at the London Polytechnic.

On completing the course he moved into a job with Vickers Ltd. working in aircraft production. Shortly after the First World War began he was seconded to the Air Ministry to work on aircraft production.

He spent a fair bit of WWI as the Chief Inspector of Aircraft Production for all of Scotland.

After WWI he became Chief Inspector for Aircraft Production for all aircraft entering service with the Royal Air Force. In 1936 he was apparently one of the men instrumental in setting up the Shadow Scheme that resulted in shadow factories for aircraft production.

In February 1939 Albert was sent by the Air Ministry to Canada to take on the role of Chief Inspector of Aircraft Production there for all aircraft to be manufactured for the Air Ministry.

By April 1941 he'd moved to Washington DC with the British Air Commission and his jurisdiction as Chief Inspector now covered all aircraft produced in all North America (USA and Canada).

He returned to England in 1946, and retired in 1948. Albert returned to New Zealand in 1950, living at Paraparaumu till he moved up here to Cambridge, and he remained in Cambridge till becoming ill in April 1972 and spent his last months it seems in hospital in Hamilton, where he died around the 20th of June 1972. I have not yet found the exact date of death but he was cremated on the 22nd of June 1972.

Can anyone here fill in details of his work with Vickers Ltd, and with the Air Ministry in London, Scotland, Canada and the USA?

He really sounds like he was one of the very important men of the war. In Washington DC he held the Honorary rank of Air Commodore.

Thanks.

Thanks

Dave, From the LG, An A.E.M. was appointed an Assistant Inspector, Deputy Directorate of Aeronautical Inspection, Air Ministry on 22 Jan 26. http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/33130/pages/899
    Regards, Terry

Thanks

Thanks Terry, that has to be him.

I wonder if his other promotions and appointments would have been gazzetted?

Thanks

Dave,
    OBE Jan 46 (LG).
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks Peter, I was aware of the OBE but I'd forgotten to mention it here.

Thanks

Dave,
    Try http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details?Uri=C559.
    Might give you some leads
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

I am not familiar with the National Archive of Great Britain's system, is it possible to access this record online or do you have to visit/order a paper copy?

Thanks

Dave,
    I can't manage to work the TNA system very well, so I can't advise. There are, however, those on this forum who can practically make it play tunes!! Best wait for one of them to tell you what can - or cannot - be done on TNA!
    Sorry not to be of more help.
    Peter Davies