Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 430929 - unaccounted Airmen - 29-9-1943

Thanks

ORB states that Shearer was killed flying JK321.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

F/O Parker was with 22 Personnel Transit Center, RAF Almaza.
    Passenger in the 1 ADU Beaufighter ?

Thanks

Hi
    My wife's uncle was Sgt. (pilot) John Gerald Preece Prichard who died in a Beaufighter crash as you have indicated. Do you have any more information on the accident. I have a picture of him in uniform and he was buried in the local church cemetery in Monknash. I would be so happy to hear from anyone.
    Phil

Thanks

Hello I have just registered with this group as I found by chance my Uncle Donald (my adoptive fathers brother) is mentioned above, Donald John Williams, its definitely him as the number is correct and he is buried at Ramleh, I have photos of him and his headstone. Anything related to him would be of interest to me as I know very little, being long before my time. All I know is I believe he wasn't meant to go on the aircraft that he lost his life in. My father didn't really talk about it.

Thanks

Sorry meant to send my first message in reply to the above, re Donald John Williams, who is my uncle my adoptive fathers brother

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennis_burke View Post
    Never mind, had the wrong date there and prepared work is on the work laptop

There are three men in Ramleh for that date, all associated with 1 ADU (Aircraft Delivery Unit)
    GREGORY, WILLIAM GEORGE Flight Sergeant 901276
    PARKER, CLIFFORD Flying Officer 130865
    WILLIAMS, DONALD JOHN Pilot Officer 157434

The files Paul sent me from Henk couldn't assign an aircraft to them.

There was also on Henk's list
    WARBURTON, RONALD Flight Lieutenant 87402 GRO listing him with 75 OTU, and listed as a Pupil Pilot by CWGC. I only now see that RNZAF L T Baker of 70 OTU is also buried in Fayid for this date.
    A 70 OTU Baltimore FA202 crashed on this date, I presume they are related.

I cannot make head nor tail of most of this any more, can't tell from his own spreadsheets what Henk might have called unaccounted or not.
    Donald John Williams was my uncle, any other info about him would be great, I have 3 photos of him, but cant work out how to upload them onto this site

Thanks

Hello

AC1 - Samuel Johnson ALEXANDER - RAFVR - 1563630 - the Aberdeen Weekly Journal of October 7th 1943 carried the following announcement:

ALEXANDER - died suddenly, in England, 29th September 1943, A.C.1 Samuel Johnson Alexander, R.A.F., aged 39, dearly beloved husband of Marjory Johnston, 22 Charolotte Street, and the youngest son of the late Samuel F. Alexander and Mrs. Alexander, 4 Esslemont Avenue.

AC1 - John HARVEY - RAFVR - 1232397 - the Lancashire Evening Post of October 14th 1943 reported the following:

Preston Inquest
    At a Preston inquest, yesterday, on Aircraftman John Harvey (35), whose home address was given as 20, Boxley Street, West Silvertown, London, a verdict of "accidental death" was recorded.
    Evidence was given that Harvey was riding in a trailer, attached to a motor lorry being driven down Penwortham Hill, on September 29, when the lorry skidded and overturned and Harvey was thrown out and trapped against a wall. His injuries included a fracture of the pelvis.

LAC - William James MAPP - RAFVR - 1524553 - the Banbury Advertiser of October 6th 1943 reported the following (abridged for brevity):

AIRMAN KILLED BY LORRY
    "Accidental Death" Verdict at Banbury Inquest
    The Borough Coroner of banbury, Dr. J. Rickards, opened and adjourned an inquest on Thursday touching the death of L.A.C. William James Mapp, aged 30, of the R.A.F., who died following an accident on the evening of Tuesday last.
    L.A.C. Robert Frank Banwell said he was driving a vehicle on the day of the accident and Mapp and a man name Bennett were with him on duty. Mapp said he wanted to go and replenish some stores and witness stopped his vehicle and Mapp jumped off and ran diagonally across the road. A lorry suddenly came by at about 20 m.p.h. from behind witness's driving cab and about ten yards in front of him Mapp ran into the nearside front wing of the lorry.

Regards

Simon