Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 430930 - Unaccounted Airmen - 30-9-1943

Thanks

Clutching at straws now.

JF446 is flying throughout Oct and on the spot check I did of 1st Nov 1943 it was flying with Sgt R S Campbell RNZAF.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Does the ORB mention MacKay as a serving pilot during. August September.?
    Just very strange that his death is registered in London, not at a Southern port.
    Are we certain of this pick up at sea story.?
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Nope, no sign in ORB and I went back to April 1943.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

I would thus lean kore towards him having been injured much earlier in the squadrons service in the UK and having died in blighty from those injuries. Only his death cert might tell.
    Have you all of the ORB?
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default 430930 - Unaccounted Airmen - 30-9-1943

Hello,
    Am a little puzzled about Henk's details on Sgt.(Pilot) Donald Rosslyn MacKay.
    I came accross this on the WWW.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_RAF_aircrew_in_the_Battle_of_Britain_(L-N)
    You will see that there was a Sgt Donald Alastair Stewart MacKay DFM (service number ?) who also served with 501 Sqdn and 421Flt.
    Noted are dates 1917 to 1959. So survived WW2.
    So did two Donald MacKay's serve with 601 Squadron ?
    Alex

Thanks

Alex, this is an airman with a different name in a different squadron? We are talking about 601 sqn.

How is this post above relevant to D R MacKay from 601 sqn. Any number of Sgt MacKay might have served with any unit.

Alex, Can you confirm then - please!!! That the only source for the pick up at sea was Henk's spreadsheet, which I also have and which clearly has a question mark after the statement. My belief is that this was a guess by Henk in the hope the actual truth would be discovered.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Sgt D.A.S McKay (note spelling) served, as you say, with 501 Sqdn and 421 Flt in the Battle of Britain.

It does not appear that he flew with 601 in the B.of B. period but he could have done so earlier, or later.

There was P/O R. MacKay with 234 Sqdn. For some reason he is not on the Wikipedia list.

Thanks

Default 430930 - Unaccounted Airmen - 30-9-1943

Hello Dennis,
    Re: Did Both Mackay's that I noted served as I thought I pointed out with 601 Squadron?
    At the time I posted I did not know if there had been an error on Henk's part and that perhaps there was only the one that served with 601.
    From your reply it seems you thought I was referring to a Mackay that served with a squadron other than 601.
    That was not the case Hence my question as to whether there were two who had served with 601, or indeed only one.
    Anyway it is irrelevant now as "Angelsonefive" has pointed out that the spelling of the one who also served with 501 was "Mc" and not "Mac" as in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_RAF_aircrew_in_the_Battle_of_Britain_(L-N).
    As for the ref to Mackay being brought to the UK by ship. Yes Henks notes which infers a Spitfire loss over the sea.
    But why else would he have been returned to the UK ?
    Unless he was returned either by Air or ship because he was injured or through some illness at some date before his death or as Henk infers, his body was recovered by ship at sea, also if this is the case we do not know how long he had been in the water before recovery or even if he was alive when recovered and is that how we have a date of death ? As yet we do not have the date of cremation which also by suggestion is some time after his death.
    Also we do not seem to have a 601 Sqdn Spitfire loss to match Mackay with.

Will this be solved ?
    Alex

Thanks

As 601 was in the Middle East in 1943, there is no way his body would be returned to the UK for burial.

If he had been picked up at sea, dead, his death would have been registered at the port of arrival not the centre of London.

More likely that he had served with 601 in the past which was therefore quoted as his unit but that he subsequently served elsewhare. I have come across others on CWGC with a previous operational unit quoted when they actually died or were killed sereving in a non-operational unit.

Malcolm

Thanks

Charles Fordyce was my grandfather. I'd be happy to help you find out what you want to know. Likewise, I'd love to know anything you know about him. Please bear in mind I dont know any of the jargon - what is MP344, for instance?

Kind regards

R