Thread: MBE Information

Thanks

Default MBE Information

I am looking for details of the awards of the MBE to two RAF NCOs, when and for why if possible. Can anyone help?

They are:

564490 Warrant Officer Henry Watson
    560207 Flight Sergeant A T Smith

many thanks

Thanks

Are these your men ? In one case my information about service number is incomplete and in the other case there may be an error (service number again) in either the source or my transcription:

SMITH, Albert Thomas, Flight Sergeant (560209, Royal Air Force - No.106 Squadron - British Empire Medal - awarded as per London Gazette dated 1 January 1943. Public Record Office Air 2/8871, courtesy of Steve Brew, has citation.

"This airman is employed as Non-Commissioned Officer in charge of a flight. Both during the period when the Squadron was in reserve and whilst it has been engaged on operations, Flight Sergeant Smith has displayed the greatest keenness and efficiency and the zealous performance of his duties is exceptional. The squadron recently passed through a very difficult stage when it was being re-equipped with Manchester and, later, Lancaster aircraft, and innumerable difficulties had to be surmounted. The fact that the re-arming was carried out so easily and smoothly was due in no small measure to this airman. He applied all the knowledge and skill accumulated during 17 years in the Royal Air Force to the task and his services were invaluable. The skill and conscientiousness which characterises his work have resulted in the smooth running of a flight which in turn has had a considerable bearing on the Squadron’s high operational effort."

WATSON, Henry, Warrant Officer (number ?, Royal Air Force) - No.83 Squadron - Member, Order of the British Empire - awarded as per London Gazette dated 11 June 1942. Public Record Office Air 2/8910 has citation.

"This Warrant Officer has been in charge of the Armament Section since February 1941. It has been due to his untiring efforts that operations have never been delayed despite short notice of bombing up or last minute changes of bomb load. During recent weeks when the squadron has been re-equipping from Hampdens and Manchester, in spite of bad weather conditions and grave shortage of equipment he has always managed to have the aircraft ready in time for take-off. He has at all times set an outstanding example of keenness and efficiency. On a recent occasion when an aircraft crashed on the aerodrome, he was immediately on the spot and rendered great assistance to the Station Armament Officer by rendering the bombs safe without regard to his personal safety."

Thanks

Airman 1,

It is worthy of note that the British Empire Medal was awarded to ORs. The MBE was awarded to WOs and junior officers (normally up to the rank of Sqn Ldr, occasionally Wg Comd). Both conferred the right to use the relevant post nominals; 'BEM' and 'MBE'. Both, however, are seperate awards within the same Order. In the case of your query, the WO was awarded the MBE and the Flt Sgt the BEM.

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Thanks Hugh, spot on, especially from my limited info.

Jonny, thanks for the explanation, it might be why I could not find Smith (aside from the fact I had the wrong service number!). I looked in the London Gazette and found nothing for Smith, and only a few references for Watson, but none for his MBE.

Both were founder members of 617 Squadron, and both were recommended afterwards for Meritorious Service. Smith was noted as having the MBE rather than the BEM, hence my query. The fact that he served with Guy Gibson on 106 San prior to 617 tells a lot, and certainly the reason he was chosen.
    Last edited by Unverified 9395; 31st July 2013 at 00:09.

Thanks

Out of interest, which is the order of precedence with a DSO, MBE and BEM?