Thread: Aircraft accuracy rates when firing at a target.

Thanks

Default Aircraft accuracy rates when firing at a target.

I have been trying to find figures on accuracy rates when air to air firing at a drogue target.

The highest-scoring fighter ace German Erich Alfred Hartmann hit a target drogue with 24 of his 50 rounds of machine-gun fire, an average rate of 48% (Philip Kaplan, Fighter Aces of the Luftwaffe in World War WWII.)

In a Mustang my father (an army co-op pilot) had a zero hit rate with 400 rounds on a test run but after discovering his gun sights were off over the next few days he increased his accuracy from 4½% to 20%.

Are there any records of what an RAF fighter pilot’s average might be?

Cheers Motherbird

Thanks

Hi Motherbird,

in memories of Czech ace Frantisek Perina there is reminiscence of his shooting before the war in Malacky flying B-534 biplane:

He made a bet that he will pay 2 cases of beer if hi will not make 41 hits in drogue (not stated from how many raounds, maybe from 50?) and 100 hits on ground target (from 100 rounds).

The result was: drogue - 41 hits, ground target - 101 hits (!)

The result of 101 hits was because one bullet ricochtet from the ground and hit the cloth of target twice:)

Later during the WWII with Armée de l'Air and RAF he reached 12 victories, 2 probables and 1 damaged (most of them with Armée de l'Air)

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

This Thread leads naturally to the 'joke' below.

"Have you heard the one about the 'X' officer? He was such a bad shot that he fired into the air and missed".

'X' equals; whoever or whatever nationality/individual you wish to insult!

For my part, I was always such a mediocre shot that besides a 9mm pistol, when I was 'in harms way' my favoured weapon was a Remington pump action shotgun with a wide open choke!!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

I do not want to assault this thread much but Colin's post evokes me one WWII joke from 311 Sq when one Wellington air gunner commented the accuracy of German AA fire over the intercom: You ***** bastards will never hit us as you are measuring the height in meters but we measure in feet:-)

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz