Thread: RAF officer info sought......

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default RAF officer info sought......

Hi Everyone-
    I have a group of medals to an RAF pre WWII O/R who commissioned into the Technical Branch in 1943.
    Unfortunately, I cannot gain access to his service file, but do know that he was awarded a Defence medal and a Pacific Star.
    Can anyone suggest what sort of work as a commisssioned officer he might have had as an officer member of the Technical Branch, RAF?
    Might anyone suggest where he might have been based in the Far East, in order to earn a Pacific Star?
    I have already checked, and he was not a POW prisoner of the Japanese.
    Any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated, no matter how trivial they might seem!
    Thanks!
    John S.

Thanks

Dear John,

Welcome to the board.

Can you tell us the name of the officer to let us assist you better. Name and serial number will help.

We can check on family history sites for you.

regards

Dennis

(My new polite version of posting)
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default RAF officer info sought.....

Dennis:
    Thanks for replying to my post.
    The officers` particulars are as follows-
    50357 Flg Off Malcolm MacDougall
    As mentioned, he commissioned from Warrant Officer (566834) to Plt Off 31 August 1943, then Flg Off 8 January 1944.
    He also had previous service in India on the NWF, gaining the IGS medal bar NWF 1937-39, as a Cpl in the RAF.
    I hope this helps somewhat.
    Thanks!
    John S.

Thanks

John, I would say that he spent the majority of the war in the UK, thus the Defence Medal. Somewhere in the last six months, i.e. subsequent to 7 Mar 45, he was posted to the Pacific theatre, a wide-spread theatre, hence the Pacific Star, but no 39-45 Star. The missing link is the War Medal 39-45 - 28 days full-time service. Regards, Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 3rd August 2013 at 09:48.

Thanks

Default RAF officer info sought.......

Terry;
    Sorry- I may have created a bit of confusion- I should have stated his full medal entitlement earlier, which is-
    IGS bar NWF 1937-39, 39-45 Star, Pacific Star, Defence medal, and 1939-45 War Medal.
    With this entitlement, would your explanation below be a bit different?
    Thanks!
    John S.

Thanks

John, A difficult question to answer. If your man served in Malaya for six months between 3 Sep 39 and 7 Dec 41 he would be entitled to the Defence Medal; one day's service from 8 Dec 41 to 15 Feb 42 would qualify him for the 39-45 Star and Pacific Star. Equally, three years in the UK subsequent to 3 Sep 39, followed by a period of service in the Pacific theatre of at least six months commencing prior to 7 Mar 45 would qualify him for both the Defence Medal and the 39-45 and Pacific Stars. Regards, Terry

From the Apr 45 Air Force List, your man was in the Signals Section of the General Duties Branch. This would suggest that he was on flying duties.

Correction: He was Signals, but within the Technical Branch, not General Duties Branch. More careful reading required on my part!
    Last edited by Terry; 5th August 2013 at 10:09. Reason: Additional Info

Thanks

Default RAF officer info sought......

Terry;
    Thanks for your analysis.
    It would seem that there are two possible ways in which my man may have earned his WWII medals, but without any access to his service records, we can only speculate and wonder.
    I think that since he was involved in India on the NWF, and gained the IGS bar NWF 1937-39, there might be the possibility that he was in India at the start of WWII, and may have gone to Malaya before 15 Feb 1942. As you state, he might well have been in the UK as of 3 Sept 1939, and remained there for 3 years before being sent to the Pacific theatre before 7 March 1945. A real mystery!
    Wondering- is there any way other than checking his service papers to establish if he was in the UK or possibly India/ Malaya during the time required to qualify for the medals he earned? A bit of a longshot here, but if he might be mentioned on some correspondance that might establish where he was at a given time, it might point to which possibility was correct as per your analysis.
    Interesting to learn that he was in the Signals Section of the Technical Branch. Would this possibly mean that he was doing wireless work or perhaps radar?
    Cheers,
    John S.

Thanks

John, Can't help you any further. Unless something unlikely pops up, you are looking at sourcing a service record. A difficult task. Regards, Terry

Thanks

Default RAf officer info sought......

Terry:
    Many thanks for your assistance here.
    I don`t hold out much hope in accessing his service files, but won`t give up on this one yet!
    Hope springs eternal!!
    Thanks again,
    John S.