Thread: S/Ldr. H.M. Birch, 10 Squadron RAAF; DFC citation look-up needed.

Thanks

Default S/Ldr. H.M. Birch, 10 Squadron RAAF; DFC citation look-up needed.

Hallo,

This Sunderland aircraft captain was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross which was gazetted on 1 July 1941, without the citation of course.
    Could anyone please look up the full citation and see if it makes reference to a combat with Luftwaffe aircraft during March 1941 ? The award may have been for a long tour of duty instead.
    The engagement I am interested in happened off the southern Irish coast on 5 March 1941 with He 111s of I./KG27.

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

Hello,

Citation: Distinguished Flying Cross. AUS756 Squadron Leader H. M. Birch, RAAF.

This officer has been engaged on operations since the war began. He has had a unique record for the number of distinguished visitors he has flown to the Middle East and Mediterranean since the commencement of hostilities. He has participated in three air combats* and on one occasion, when attacked by two Junkers Ju88, he destroyed one and damaged the other. Although displaying dash during these engagements, he has never endangered the lives of his crew and has flown his aircraft safely back. He has set an excellent example.

London Gazette No.35206. (1/7/1941. p.3770).

1. 14 July 1940. P9603 'H', Heinkel He 111K
    2. 29 July 1940. P9602 'G', Dornier Do 18.

See:
    'Maritime Is Number Ten':A History of No.10 Squadron RAAF - The Sunderland Era 1939-1945..
    Baff, K C. F/L. RAAF. (Comp.)
    Netley:Author,1983.
    p.118.

Twice Mentioned in Despatches:

AUS756 BIRCH, H M. RAAF. A/F/L. Distinguished Service. LG: 17/3/1941. p.1574.
    AUS756 BIRCH, H M. RAAF. A/S/L. Distinguished Service. LG: 24/9/1941. p.5571.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 5th August 2013 at 15:41.

Thanks

Col,

Many thanks for the prompt and full reply. I did not know about the other two victories but there is a nice coincidence in that his third victory was achieved in P9604 'J'.
    Pity the gunners did not receive any recognition ! It was ever thus I suppose.

Regards and thanks once more.

Martin.

Thanks

Hi Martin,

I thought you would like to know Hugh Birch passed away on the 3 Jan 1996.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Hallo John,

Thank you for that additional if sad information. I looked up his file last night on the NAA website. Nothing about the aerial victory claims nor is the citation included, so I am very grateful to you and Col for the information supplied.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

Hi Martin,

Firstly, a minor correction. Birch's RAAF service number should read, 156, not 756, as l posted earlier. Due to the limited edit time, l was unable to correct the error.

You might care to take a look at the following:-

http://www.awm.gov.au/collection/S01648/

Click on Document (Transcript), or Audio. Annoying transcription errors, but at least it's from the horse's mouth, so to speak!

Col.

Thanks

Col, once again my thanks.

That was a great read, not least the details concerning the aerial combats. I note he still had his logbook which he referred to from time to time to check dates, etc.

Regards,

Martin.