Thread: LAC William Henry Stallard

Thanks

Default LAC William Henry Stallard

My Dad, LAC William Henry Stallard, served at RAF Seletar, Singapore, was at Kuala Lumpur (Burma) and later at BCAIR Iwakuni shortly after the Hiroshima bomb. (Demob Friday May 16th 1947)

He was known as "Jock" then, by his family as "Harry", and by my Mum as "Bill."

I regret to say I know next to nothing about his service time, just a few stories when I was a kid.

My Dad died in October 2007. My Mum, Betty, is still going strong!

I'm trying to find out as much as possible about his service, particularly 17 Squadron and SE 7132

I would love to hear from anyone who may have information - I know, I'm leaving this a bit late! If anyone has photos that would be fantastic - I have some back in the UK which I'll fetch next time I'm there and scan in.

All the best, Jim Stallard

Thanks

Hello Jim

welcome to the board.

Mot of us might ask if you have gotten your dads service records from the RAF?

This would list his postings and units. Details of how to obtain them are here:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/links/contacts.cfm
    http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

and you will probably have to have your mum apply for them as she is next of kin and they will be strict about this.

This would be a good first step.

Can I ask where did you get mention of the 17 Sqn and 7132 SE? Sounds like you might have the service record already.

best regards

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default LAC William Henry Stallard

>Can I ask where did you get mention of the 17 Sqn and 7132 SE? Sounds like you might have the service record already.

Hi Dennis,
    I found out through an old friend of my Dads. In 2013 I came across a letter to my Dad from 2006 from "Ernest" - I took a chance and wrote and got an email response from Ernest Astley.

I've gone through some more papers since and I do have some RAF ones. I'll have to put some time into studying them this weekend - I'll get back to you.

Thanks for the reply

Jim

Thanks

At long last I've got the records - it's just two sheets of paper, I guess the two sides of one 'official document' "Form 543" - very disappointing on first viewing - 18 entries for "unit" only three of which mention a place - Southampton, Bombay and Japan, and a quick scan makes no mention of injuries or how obtained although there is a (possible) mention of hospitalization (20/45 Admitted 63 M. F. Hosp 12/2/45) [at that time with 7005 S.E.]?
    I was also sent a seven page document "List of Common Abbreviations" - it seems to be deliberately missing all the ones I need!
    I'm going to transcribe the whole thing and search the web, annotate what I find, and put it up here. I guess you already know I'm going to be asking for a lot of help soon!
    Happy New Year.
    Jim Stallard