Thread: 1388591 W/O. Anthony James Fuge

Eddie Fell Guest

Default 1388591 W/O. Anthony James Fuge

The above named is recorded by CWGC as having died on 16/12/46 with No. 158 Sqn recorded as his Unit.

He is buried at Kensal Green (St. Mary's) Roman Catholic Cemetery (which may be consistent with a death at home as he was from Langton Street, Chelsea)

Can anybody confirm a death from natural causes and also identify his correct unit as 158 Sqn had ceased to exist on 1/1/46 although he had previously served with that Sqn and was a former POW.

He is not recorded in BCL Vol 9.

Many thanks

Eddie
    Last edited by Eddie Fell; 15th April 2008 at 13:53. Reason: Extra info added

Thanks

Eddie

if it helps, his death is registered at Hendon.

regards

DaveW

Eddie Fell Guest

Thanks Dave

That's eliminated a death at home at least

Eddie

Thanks

Gents,
    Anthony FUGE was the navigator of Halifax II HR779 of 158 Sqn (NP-Z) lost 16/17-4-1943 on a raid to Mannheim, Germany. Shot down by a Ju 88 and crashlanded in a field near Void, Dept. Meuse, France (8 km SSE of Commercy). All crew members survived. He evaded capture for some period but was arrested 23-4-1943 at Neufchâteau and was "invited as a guest" by the Gestapo in their notorious prison at Fresnes near Paris from 24th April until 9th of June 1943. He later was in Camps L6 and 357 with PoW-number 8.

Henk.

Eddie Fell Guest

Thanks Henk

I have his place of capture as 'Soulousse' which I can't find on my maps.

I was curious as to the cause of his death only because he can't have been with 158 even though CWGC records him as such. His non inclusion in BCL Vol. 9 points to him no longer being a member of Bomber Command. I think I need to either see what Units were at Hendon or the quicker route of getting a copy of his death certificate

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Eddie,

His POW liberation report WO344 (National Archives) could be very useful, if he was injured or suffered during captivity !

His service number 1388591 tells me he enlisted during the summer 1941. So by late 1946 shouldn't he of been demobed or almost at the end of his war service.

With his war grave either he was still serving or his death was due to a condition contracted while serving during WW2.

Mark

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Mark

He did indeed enlist in 1941 (April in fact). I also have his liberation report but that isn't very helpful as far as his treatment is concerned in the camps listed by Henk. He was actually shot down on his first Operation

Cheers

Eddie