Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lancaster/Mosquito Mid-Air

Thanks

One small technical point was that a "jammed canopy" was mentioned in relation to the Mosquito (or Hornet?); the Mosquito had an escape hatch in the roof of the canopy, but this was only intended for use on the ground, with the side door being the only recommended escape exit in the air. The Hornet, of course had a sliding canopy for the pilot's cockpit (much like that of a single-seat Vampire); two seaters had a rear mounted cockpit, but I am not certain of the means of entry/exit for this location.
    David D

Thanks

David,

I wonder if the 'jammed canopy' refered to may have been the parachute canopy? One Hornet crew member did not get his open.

Thanks for the gen.

Alan F
    Last edited by 149Nut; 12th August 2013 at 08:03.

Thanks

Default Lancaster crash Jack Oldham

Good morning Col Bruggy

I am trying to get information regarding the crash in which my father Jack Oldham was killed. When this happened I was only 2 so was never given any information about my father. I have been to the library but could not get the information from the Times. Do you have any pictures you can attach. My mother died some years ago and did not talk about the incident. I came across this site when visiting my brother so anythibng on this article would be greatly received.

Yours

Diane Oldham

Thanks

Hi Diane,

I think there may be a little confusion here in that two accidents have been discussed, the one on the 3rd November in which your father died, and another on the 11th. Your father's aircraft came down in the English Channel about six miles south of South Hayling so I'm afraid there will not be any photographs.

If you email me, I will send you the two reports from The Times (left click on my nom-de-plume (Lyffe) for a drop-down menu that will direct you to my address).

Brian

Thanks

I seem to recall an article in a recent aviation related magazine (Flypast/Aeroplane?) that discusses a Hornet/Lanc collision, but for the life of me I can't recall which one! It also included a photo.

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Hi Brian

Many thanks for getting back to me. My father was one of the people killed on the 3rd November. If you or anyone has any photo's of my father before the accident as I do not have any photographs at all.

My email address is karlrichardson05@aol.com

Regards

Diane Oldham