Thread: Spitfire EN176

Thanks

Default Spitfire EN176

Hello Gents,

Does anyone know any details about the loss of EN176 on 10 Feb 45 (more than A-B gives) - 1402 Flt.

Thanks in anticipation

Phil

Thanks

Hello,

The Spitfire production list confirms 1402 Flt and goes on "Blown off peritrack and tipped up Hawarden FAAC 10-2-45"

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Hello Phil,

A little more detail for you.

EN176 - Spitfire HF.VIb, Merlin 47 No A305262 - 3.F.P. (N/-/ATA/N), damage cat.AC at Hawarden, Flints on 10.2.1945, First Officer K H V DAY (ATA):
    Ferry flight - Taxying in cross wind, grass verge very soft, a/c swung off perimeter track due to gust of wind (Stbd brake did not hold), wheels sank in soft turf, tipped on nose and Prop damaged.

Regards,

Ian
    Last edited by ian94avenge; 9th August 2013 at 15:08.

Thanks

Hello Ian,

EN176 seems to have gone to 1402 Flight in Feb., 1943 as a near-new aircraft. Was it with them right up until Feb., 1945 ?

Two years looks to me like a long time with the same unit for a wartime Spitfire, especially as EN176 was re-engined (it seems) at some stage, M61 to M47.

Any further information you may have will be welcome.

Regards,

Ray.

Thanks

Hello Ray,

Other data I have is,

9 MU Nov 18, 1942
    1402 Flight February 20. 1943
    9 MU unknown date
    Accident Feb 1945 as detailed
    Presumed SOC June 21, 1947

Other data says it had a Merlin 61, but accident card says Merlin 47. Card not transcribed by me so Merlin 47 could be in error ?

1402 Flight was a Met flight in Ireland and could explain its longevity ?

Regards,

Ian

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Ian.

The standard engine for the Mark VI was a Merlin 47, so I am inclined to think that Merlin 47 would be right.

However, all the other Spitfires coming off the assembly line at Eastleigh at about that time (late Oct./early Nov. 1942) seem to have had M61 engines installed, so EN176 could well have this had this model of engine when new. The reason why a Merlin 47 replaced the original Merlin 61 will probably remain unknown, but availability of a replacement might have had something to do with it.

I think you are right about the length of time this plane stayed with the one unit. A Spitfire with a Met. Flight would not have had the hard life of one with a front-line squadron or an OTU.

I wonder where EN176 was going when it had the mishap ?

Thanks again for your reply,

Ray.

Thanks

Hello All,

Thanks for your replies, very useful as usual. As for the destination of EN176, I think it was going to an MU for a subsequent scrapping. The remaining Mk.VIs still in RAF hands were mainly stored at 33 or a 39 MU at that time. Between February and April 45, most UK surviving Mk.VIs were SOC. The RAF had decided to retire the last few Mk.VIs flying in UK early in 1945.

Phil