Thread: North Coast Strike Wing - 07 October 1943

Thanks

Default North Coast Strike Wing - 07 October 1943

On the 7 October 1943, a few Beaufighter of the 618 SQD, from the North Coast Strike Wing, have had a nice success against a Ju.88 patrol.

Unfortunately, the 618 Sqd’s ORB is in a poor condition for this period…

Do you have any information’s about this subject ???

Kind regards

MLT

Thanks

Hi Michel

Are you sure of the Sqn, No 618 wasn't operating Beaufighters in October 1943 (according to Jefford) and it wasn't part of the North Coates (not Coast) Strike Wing.

Malcolm

Thanks

Default maybe ...

Hi Malcom,

may be I 'm wrong about the type of aircraft, but I've found two differents informations :

1.- In the 618 's ORB, at the date of 01 april 1943 : "S/Ld Rose is appointed temporarily in command. The squadron is to form in N°18 group, in Coastal Command, and is to be equipped with Mosquito aircraft.
    they were :
    DZ 468 pilot : F/O A.S. CUSSENS
    DZ 518 pilot : F/O H. Mc CREADY
    DZ 486 pilot : F/O D.L. PAVEY
    DZ 489 pilot : P/O L.T. WESTON
    DZ 423 pilot : F/O G.W.S. REENIE
    DZ 465 pilot : Sgt MASSEY - DFM
    DZ 355 pilot : sgt ELLIS K.H.N."
    So, of course, you've right, there where Mosquito in this squadron. But, I've got a french book wich confirms the presence of a few B Beaufighter in in - so , do you think that it is possible to have the two types of aircraft in the same squadron at this period, or, is it wrong ?

2. - North Coast Strike Wing : of course, you're right and I apologize.

3.- The information about the success of the 618 sqd against Ju88 on the 7 october 1943, is included in a CITATION comportant la CROIX DE GUERRE AVEC PALME, of a french pilot, of this squadron (CARON).

Thanks for your help Malcom....

MLT

Thanks

Try No.143 Sqn RAF.

See:
    Bloody Biscay:The History of V Gruppe/Kampfgeschwader 40.
    Goss,Chris.
    n.p.:Crecy,1997.
    pp.117, 121, 217 & 232.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 9th August 2013 at 14:37.

Thanks

618 did operate some Beaufighters from April to June 1943 at the same time as Mosquito IVs (unarmed)

The IVs were replaced by Mosquito XVIIIs in October 1943 but never appear to have served in the North Coates Strike Wing.

Malcolm

Thanks

Default thanks !

Col

You're right. The French book I use this pilot indicates 618 sqd. In fact, he was in the 618 sqd, but seconded to 143 ...
    The ORB 143 confirms his presence October 7, 1943 for the indicated mission in the Chriss Goss book.

Thank you for your help, and thank you to Malcolm for his clarification

MLT

Thanks

Michel
    I don't know if this is relevant to your reasearch but I have a hand written chronicle of the 143 squadrons sorties during this period.
    During October 1943 they were operating out of Portreath.
    I quote the entry for the 7th October 1943:-
    "A great 'do' on the 7th when 6 aircraft on Bay Patrol, led by S/l Dickman-Wilkes, ran into some 88's at long last. Two of the Huns were destroyed, S/l Dickman-Wilkes claiming one and Guy Brown the other. During the combat one of our aircraft, piloted by F/s "King"Cole was observed to fly into the sea, but it was not thought by others who saw him that this was due to enemy action. "Kingie" and his navigator, Sgt Moorhouse, were a quiet but very popular crew on the squadron. On this same day a fairly new crew, Sgts Ritchie and DeVrye, were killed during a training exercise. Sgt Ritchie was buried in the little churchyard at Illogan, about two miles from Portreath, on October 14th"
    I trust this may be of interest.

Regards
    Melvyn