Thread: Book recommendation please

Thanks

Default Book recommendation please

I have a copy of Wing Commander Jefford's excellent book 'Observers and Navigators' which traces the development of the functions of all RAF non-pilot aircrew from 1914 to 2000. In his preface he refers to the millions of words which have been written about pilots.

I am looking for an equivalent book to Jeffords that tells of the functions and training of pilots at least up to the end of WWII. Can anyone give me any suggestions? I am interested in the whole of this period but particularly bomber pilots in the early period of WWII before all the volunteer RAFVR aircrew became operational.

Thanks

Doesn't cover the whole time period you mention, but you may find this interesting:

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/his/docs/Aerodrome_e.pdf

Thanks

Thanks for that Bill. For some reason there is a problem opening it. I managed about a tenth of it in 5 minutes. I will have another try later.

Thanks

I have the same problem sometimes at that site. Maybe weekend maintenance, try again Monday.

Thanks

Default Books

There is also the excellent , "The Arnold Scheme" by G S Guinn and rumours of one covering the South African /area training called "Yellow Bird - wings over ??" which I have yet to source.

Is it something specific you are after?

Alan F