Thread: Arnhem - 299 Sqn

Thanks

Default Arnhem - 299 Sqn

Is there someone out there please who might have 299 Squadron’s ORB for September 1944 and be able to tell me if it gives the serial number of the Stirling flown to Arnhem by P/O I T Rowell, RCAF, on the 23rd of that month... and might there be a Canadian who knows or can find Rowell’s first name for me.

Thanks muchly - Max Lambert, Wellington, NZ.

Thanks

Ancestry.com viters lists of Canada would suggest, Ian T Rowell. From British Columbia.

The Canada Gazette should be checked.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default P/O Rowell

Hi Max

Arie-Jan van Hees' "Green On", about the Arnhem Resupply Sorties gives the following:

23/9/1944 - LJ893, '5G-Y', P/O Rowell, 299 Sqn from Keevil, force-landed (belly landed) at approx 16.45 hrs near the village of Slijk-Ewijk just N of the River Waal after being hit by flak, small-arms and MG fire. Nav W/O Longhurst seriously wounded, P/O Rowell and F/S McDonald (W/Op) wounded. The 3 wounded were hospitalised by Allied troops in the area.

Hope this helps?

Regards

Ian

Thanks

Default Arnhem - 299 Sqn

Ian - Many thanks for your response. Appreciated. I wanted to keep my question short but see now I should have explained a bit further. I was aware of Arie-Jan's entry in "Green On" and also that of Luuk Buist's in the "RAF at Arnhem" which agree on LJ893 and its landing place. But I have a casualty report from RNZAF HQ London about the navigator Longhurst, a NZer. It gives the serial as LJ915 and says that the pilot chose Ghent for medical assistance and made a safe landing there. Additionally, Longhurst's logbook says "Landed at Ghent" and has his signature. His log doesn't have a serial number. I'm told this morning by friend Errol Martyn that 299's ORB says LJ893 so I've got a problem. It's possible I suppose there was a last-minute aircraft change but that's clutching-at-straws territory. But how to explain the RNZAF report and the log's "Landed at Ghent". I have evidence that Longhurst was in hospital at Ghent before being evacuated to England. Also, the copy of the RNZAF casualty report came from the Longhurst family. If it was incorrect you might think Longhurst would have ripped it up or scrawled "wrong" on it. He didn't. Quite a puzzle. Best thanks - Max

Thanks

Default Arnhem -299

Dennis - Thankyou for that lead on Rowell. Appreciated.

Max