Thread: DFC, AFC, DFM, AFM Group

Thanks

Default DFC, AFC, DFM, AFM Group

On ebay recently there was a miniature medal group of DFC, AFC, ADM, AFM, 39-45 star, Air Crew Europe Star, Defence Medal, War Medal and Korea Medal (see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Air-Force-World-War-II-Miniature-Medal-set-of-9-/200949545643?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STR K%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Yp2XctzdliWvFNcG1WqSnyg itMo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc)

Out of curiosity, was this combination of DFC, AFC, DFM and AFM ever awarded to anyone at all?

Thanks

This is a made up combination. No airman/officer ever gained these four awards. A number of similar fictitious miniature groups have appeared recently on EBAY - best to leave well alone.

Jim

Thanks

To add a little to Jim's post above. Maton: "Honour The Air Forces", produces some tables of combinations and these would prove useful in seeing what are realistic possibilities. Some other books also attempt to make the comparisons.

At the RAF Museum Hendon, the researchers have a cardex system - no longer kept up to date - which lists in alphabetical order, RAF personnel who have received significant awards. This manuscript record is a valuable source of information and quotes date of award and LG details. I do not know when it was started nor when it ceased being maintained but it has proved very helpful to me on occasions. I have also linked information with the "Air Ministry Bulletin", which is on microfilm at the museum. This bulletin does not contain all published citations/recommendations but for 'immediate' awards, there is a reasonable 'strike rate' - you need to take a look!! As an aside, I used those records with the intention of producing a detailed account of the DSO - but somebody beat me to it but I still have this large box of microfilmed citations!!!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

About that book on aerial DSO awards. I, too, compiled a lot of material on the subject (which I still have and which has been shared in bits and pieces). I never got around to writing the book and then heard that it had been produced by another party - do not know who, where or when. Are publication details available ?

Thanks

Hello,

Title of the DSO BooK?

Companions of the Distinguished Service Order 1920-2006 Air Awards.
    Hearns,Doug V. P., CD.
    Uckfield:Naval and Military Press,2011

Excerpt: Acknowledgements - A huge thank you must go to fellow Canadian Mr Hugh Halliday, an extremely keen and obviously knowledgeable air historian. Ahem!

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 16th August 2013 at 11:53.

Thanks

I have this sinking feeling that the comments in the last few posts could well kick something off - as the saying goes.

It is a very useful and authorative source and I have found it interesting, particularly where a well known airman comes into the picture in some other publication, conversation or article. Given what I use it for, my only 'complaint' - observation, really - is that the details of the ultimate fate of the individual is not always recorded.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

I also have a copy of Mr Hearn's DSO tome and a valuable resource it is too. I also noted that he has used information that originated on this Forum.

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

As Jonny says, Hearn's book is a valuable resource - but only as far as it goes. However, there are least 26 WW2 recipients missing from he book - two of whom had bars to their DSOs. Moreover, there are two entries which should be deleted - the men did not get a DSO. I was alerted to errors in the book when I could find no trace of a man whose medals are in my collection! I advised the publishers in February 2012 and they promised to reprint with corrections.

Jim
    Last edited by jimroutledge; 18th August 2013 at 09:37.

Thanks

February 1912 - now come on Jim, even you aren't that old !!!!!!

Thanks

Hello All,

I'm dragging this thread out of the archives to see if I can get an answer to the following query:

Several years ago I bought a copy of Hearns' DSO tome, and it was not cheap! There is a suggestion earlier on in this thread that Jim Routledge obtained an undertaking from N&MP, that they intended reprinting the work with the missing entries. The copy I bought contained 438 pages, the one currently on sale at N&MP has 450 pages! Have N&MP reprinted a new edition of this work? If so, what do these additional pages contain? I know I should be asking N&MP this question, but I just want a quick answer before approaching them.

I smelt a rat when I went looking for the entry on 36131 Thomas Henry BOYLAN DSO, DFC, RAFO. There isn't one!

Regards,

Col.