Thread: Tiger Moth crash 1939

Thanks

Default Tiger Moth crash 1939

Hi,

I'm trying to find out about a Tiger Moth crash that occurred at 11 E&RFTS based at Perth, Scotland.

I have been told that Plt Off James Leon Wilkie 42170 crashed a Tiger Moth while with 11 E&RFTS between 16 March 1939 and 26th May 1939. There is also a photo that shows Wilkie standing next to the Tiger Moth, which is on its nose. I assume the Tiger Moth was repaired and put back into service.

I know it's a long shot but would anyone have any info about 11 E&RFTS Tiger Moths?

Any help/pointers would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Alex

Thanks

I have checked my notes from the RAF Perth/Scone ORB, there is no mention of P/O Wilkie nor any other fatalities.
    11 EFTS was formed in January 1936 and operated by Airwork, the RAF did not completely take over until 1 January 1940; so, possibly his loss (and that of others) is not mentioned as Airwork kept the records rather than the RAF. I don't know where the Airwork records are held, if indeed they have been preserved.

Keith

Thanks

Alex,

Nothing about the Tiger Moth, but there are two references to Wilkie in the 1939 Flight Magazine in respect of his rank.

Brian

Thanks

Hi Keith, Brian

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

I have been in touch with one of Jims relatives and he says the photo of Jim in front of the Tiger Moth is held by another family member. It's possible that they just assumed the aircraft was a Tiger Moth because it was a biplane and used for training. Jim also went to 9 FTS so it is possible it may have occurred while he was with that unit.

I'll keep digging.

Regards,

Alex

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Bryers View Post
    I have checked my notes from the RAF Perth/Scone ORB, there is no mention of P/O Wilkie nor any other fatalities.
    11 EFTS was formed in January 1936 and operated by Airwork, the RAF did not completely take over until 1 January 1940; so, possibly his loss (and that of others) is not mentioned as Airwork kept the records rather than the RAF. I don't know where the Airwork records are held, if indeed they have been preserved.

Keith
    Keith, Alex,

I just came across this thread on this forum while researching 11 EFTS, Scone. I am restoring a Tiger Moth that was operated by 11 EFTS for most of the war - from 28th December 1940 to 16th August 1946. It is N-5490.

Over the last two years I have carried out hundreds of hours of research into this Tiger's history - it started life early 1939 at 20 ERFTS Gravesend. I have been able to find out a great deal about 20 ERFTS Gravesend, but very little about 11 RFTS - and not one single photo of any Tiger there. Its almost like it was a secret air base!

I have yet to see an actual ORB (haven't been able to get to the national Archives at Kew yet (I'm ex-RAF but now live and work in Seattle!), so I was particularly interested in your 11 EFTS ORB comment, Keith. Perhaps you could tell me what sort of information it includes? Id also be grateful for any photos of the Tigers at Scone.

Sorry for hijacking the thread Alex, but in penance may I point you to www.N5490.org which I think you will both find quite interesting.

Cheers,
    Ian Grace

PS - Please e-mail any response, as I'm not sure how often I will get to check this forum - TIA. vintageminor-at-gmail.com